Reader reviews and comments on The Winemaker's Wife, plus links to write your own review.

The Winemaker's Wife

Jordan Lynch

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Winemaker's Wife

Joyce Clark

Moving and personal book
We lived in France for 5 years and visited Épernay and the champagne region as often as we could. The author captured the passion and even the smell of this incredible region. The bravery and strength of the Resistance came to life through this book. I especially loved the way the author connected the past to the present through the characters. The surprise twist at the end of the book was the perfect finale.
SA

You won’t want to put this novel set in World War II France down!
Full disclosure: the members of my book club each received a free proof of this book through the galley match program ( #GalleyMatch or @gallerybooks ) before it’s release in return for our honest feedback.

This well written historical novel is told from the point of view of three different women in alternating chapters. The first two are living in the Champagne making region of France during World War II,

Young and impulsive newlywed Inez is struggling to fit in at Maison Chauveau under the Nazi occupation. Born to a different life, champagne production is foreign to her. Having no family, the transition to her new life is made more difficult by the distance from her old friends, the isolation of the countryside, and the over-protectiveness of husband, Michel, who is secretly involved with the Résistance.

Also living at the maison is half-Jewish Celine, the wife of Theo, the Chauveau’s chef de cave. She’s a bit older than Inez and grew up making wine so the work there is second nature for her. She worries about her family as she struggles to remain under the radar of the Nazi occupiers. These two very different women struggle to form a friendship as they assist in the production of the champagne.

The third woman, newly divorced Liv, lives in the present (Summer 2019). Her elderly French grandmother, Edith, has arrived to whisk Liv off to France so she can move on with her life. But Edith has another motivation, secrets that she wants to reveal before it’s too late. It’s hard for Edith to share what’s been deeply buried for so long and progress is slow. While Liv awaits each tidbit about her grandmother’s past she explores the region on her own, finding some clues along the way.

The connection of Edith’s life to each of these women drives the action forward. During the war danger grows when chances are taken and mistakes are made. In the current day, Liv is beginning to resume living her life as she waits for Edith to divulge more.

You won’t want to put this novel set in World War II France down!
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Do Not Miss Reading This Book
France, wine, WWII, present day, and love - all of this wrapped into one amazing, difficult-to-put-down read.

We meet Inez, Celine, Michel, Thor, Liv, and Liv's French grandmother, Edith, as the story moves back and forth in time.

We find out about the lives of the winemakers during the war and a secret that grandmother has kept for many years as well as a connection that the vineyards, a restaurant, and the characters have to both time periods and to their lives.

Grandmother Edith was my favorite character…mysterious and stubborn all rolled into one.

Liv was likable as well.

Inez, Celine, Michel, and Thor were interesting, and their wine tunnels were fascinating.

We learn more of the war, the resistance, the French people involved in the resistance, and how the danger of making one simple mistake could alter the safety of many people.

THE WINEMAKER’S WIFE is another marvelous, intriguing read about the resiliency and determination of the French people and the entire European population.

Those of us who were not living during this time, do not have any idea of the horrors and hardships endured by the European people.

Ms. Harmel weaved a beautiful tale filled with authentic characters and a story line that kept me turning the pages to learn more as well as cry with the characters.

Absolutely LOVED this book. Do not miss reading this book. 5/5

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...
  • Book Jacket: The Bell in the Lake
    The Bell in the Lake
    by Lars Mytting
    A legend from Lars Mytting's Norwegian hometown tells of two centuries-old church bells that, like ...
  • Book Jacket: Leave the World Behind
    Leave the World Behind
    by Rumaan Alam
    Amanda, Clay and their two teenage children have rented a remote vacation home in Long Island to ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

Where the Light Enters
by Sara Donati

An enthralling epic about two trailblazing female doctors in 19th century New York.

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R