Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

By James McBride

The Color of Water

• Hardcover: Feb 1996,
    Paperback: Feb 1997,

There are currently 96 reader reviews for The Color of Water

Pookie-8 (03/26/03)

This book should be read by every teenager in America. IT illustrates about the meaning of hertige and it will encourage them to suceed in their lives. The book had me to evaluate my life and think about blessed I am to grow up knowing about my family. Also, influenced me to gain more interest to learn more about my heritge.
Ben Alter (03/09/03)

I had to read this book for a school assignment, and thought it would be hideously boring. Something like a "chick-flick." However, I began burrying myself in the book for hours, finding it intruiging, and interesting. I learned what being a white jew, with 12 black kids can do to a person. Especially in a time of segregation, and hated towards a specific race of people.
Ms. E (02/19/03)

This book should be an eye opener to anyone who believes that poverty is a wall that prevents one from climbing out. Inspiring and down to earth, my ninth graders loved reading about a Bklyn kid making in their neighborhood! Bravo to Mr. McBride and to Ruth McBride for reaching ever upwards at whatever costs. I am currently in search of all the free museum trips, concerts & plays I can find. I, too, will drag my youngones to all the culture I can. Thank you, Ruth!
Atiqur R. Mufti (01/08/03)

This book is very inspiring and i wish i can meet Ruth McBride and i can appreciate her struggling through out her life. I will also appreciate Mr james McBride that he wrote her mother's life story in a very good manners. This book have every thing which a good book should have.
Diamante Poettana (11/14/02)

"I have read this great book, and also I only wished I can actually see this actual family by the way the book was written by Mr. McBride and probably go back in time to see this struggling family do their hardwork and survive."
- D.L. Poettania(Terrell Antoine Waiters), the C.E.O. of T-Train Powerhouse Enterprises, Brooklyn, N.Y.
nikkie (11/03/02)

<< great is the art of beginning , but even greater is the art of ending... >>

--Longfellow
This novel was outstanging. It makes me look at things from a different view now.
MacBride is a superb author.
Mary (11/03/02)

This was an incredible story of a family that had a definate story to tell. I highly recommend it. It will make you see people in this world very different. Ruth and James are incredible people.
shady (10/28/02)

it was a great book that talked a lot about human nature

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove