Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

By James McBride

The Color of Water

• Hardcover: Feb 1996,
    Paperback: Feb 1997,

There are currently 96 reader reviews for The Color of Water

Tiffany (06/27/06)

Excellent Book
The Color of Water was an absolutely insprational book. This book gives a firsthand account of the everyday struggles of white low-income mother while raising her twelve bi-racial children in New York City. The trials and tribulations faced by this family were unimaginable but were somehow overcome. Mrs. Ruth McBride was able to overcome all of her struggles and produce twelve college educated, productive and outstanding citizens.
emily deery (03/22/06)

The Colour of Water
i found this book to be an inspirational read. it was simple but at the same time dealt with incredibly comlex issues in a beautiful way that enabled myself as a reader to truly grasp the concepts.
the colour of water was so well crafted that when reading it i felt as though i was there and sharing the experiences that James McBride wrote about.
i reccomend this book to all who wish to be moved, enlightened and entertained.
Lissy (05/10/05)

Awesome
Hi! I would just like to make a comment on this wonderful written book. It was wonderfully written, and an inspirational novel. I would recommend this book to just about anyone. It not only brings up hopes about life it teaches us about racism, caring for one another, companionship.
Danielle (02/14/05)

It was awesome and it was the first summer reading book I liked.
molly (01/02/05)

The Color of Water is an amazing book that slips you right into the shoes of Ruth McBride. I was looking for a good biography to read for school, and I found it. I recommend it 100%, it's easy to understand and heart touching.
Missy (12/12/04)

Very telling about the Jewish and African American relations in 20th Century America -- heart warming story of strength
kidi (11/17/04)

It was a wonderful book!
lillian (10/31/04)

This book touched my heart. It was beautifully written in a unigue manner in wich we get two stories in one. It showed me how the power of love surpasses race, social and economic levels. I take with me the the feeling of empowerment. That my friends, is honest, brilliant writting at its best.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove