Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

By James McBride

The Color of Water

• Hardcover: Feb 1996,
    Paperback: Feb 1997,

There are currently 96 reader reviews for The Color of Water

janicemerry (03/15/10)

best book I have ever read
I am a avid reader and the Color of Water is the best book I have ever read. What a woman! Her spiritual values passed on to all her children. I wish one of the reviews hadn't given away the reason for the title as when I read it the hair on my arms stood up because we are all, no matter what color, are made in His likeness. I wrote to him and he sent me an autographed copy back. How many writers do that. His last work, Song Yet Sung is excellent, part true and part fiction, yet I learned so much. I can't wait until he writes another book. His words flow so beautifully. In our area , it is now required reading in high schools as it should be Sincerely , Janice Merry
Margaret Naylor (01/18/10)

Societal Responsibility
In reading this remarkable book I find that the only difference between this book and many of the real stories about large families is the fact that the family is interracial and the mother was fiercely proud and protective of her children. Ruth Jordan wanted what many mothers of large families want for their children and they actively pursue those goals. I am reminded of our family of 10. Fortunately for me I was next to the youngest so the older ones spoiled us . Nonetheless, they made us behave properly.
This book brought back many fond memories of our family squabbles.

Not only was this a delightful read it was a tale of a strong and determined woman. Thank God for all the women who are determined and strong enough to mold their children for the good of the society in which they will ultimately live. We need more women like her who love and care enough about their children and their offspring to prepare them to take their rightful place in the world by their contribution to a just society.
tamara harris (12/13/09)

the color of water
I think this book was a really good book, and you can learn a lot of things from the book.
Sarah Trevino (10/06/08)

Excellent Book
This book is not only a book that will completely change your point of view on race, but also on the true story of how James McBride has conquered the obstacles that prohibit his mother from telling him her past, but also a story of a woman determined to overcome anything for her marriage as for her 12 children... an excellent book for young readers & readers of ALL ages.
christina (10/18/07)

the color of water
It is a great book and is very touching. I love the way the author wrote everything for people to understand. I'm very happy that I got to read a book like this
pops (09/27/07)

i can't get over it
Everyone is raving (sort of), but not me. I think the story is standardly written and full of cliches and the expected. Mcbride's ego shines through. I do like the italicized story of the mother, but the writing! It's all tell don't show. Okay for a high schooler I guess. To me, he did not have nearly enough fun. Ruth has a true value system and she made it work, but, frankly, we have heard this before and better told. You could read the epilogue and be done with it. But he is a journalist and a good one. Makes a great human feature story.
Natalia (03/14/07)

The color of water
This book is great in every way. it talks about the many struggles a person may face in their life. However, at the end it makes you realize you can make it through hard times...
Ms. Shirland (09/07/06)

Brilliant!
James McBride's poignant biography of his mother and autobiography of his own life conveys a myriad of themes to the readers such as sacrafice, fear, betrayal, death, religion and racism, that one can not help but to gleam priceless life lessons as they peruse the pages.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist