Reader reviews and comments on Where The Heart Is, plus links to write your own review.

By Billy Letts

• Hardcover: Jun 1995,
    Paperback: May 1998,

There are currently 63 reader reviews for Where The Heart Is

tullius (01/16/12)

meh.
I bought the movie tie in edition at a second hand store so I didn't realize it is more of a young adult genre but I needed something to read on the plane. I'm a little troubled by the depiction of teen pregnancy, that strangers will open their homes and take care of you, ect.

Also some of the details were unbelievable almost ridiculous. Not too many ponds, barns (burnt out or otherwise) or mosquitos in the NM desert that I've ever noticed. You can't skip out on motel bills, they make you pay in advance and show ID, for at least my entire adult life, I'm 50. Pushers and bennies- was this written in the 1950's? You don't "gobble" 8 balls. An 8 ball isn't a pill its several hundred dollars worth of cocaine, yes even in the 1980's.

Reading the other reviews I'm shocked some teachers posted they are using this in school. I'm no prude but this is not what I consider quality literature. Stick with Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.
Mandy (04/18/11)

Best Book(:
This book is so amazing. It shows that no matter how far down the road you are, good or bad, you can always find people who love you and care about you, for YOU(: Novalee's story is life changing and it shows how you can change your life if you want to. I recommend this book to everyone who is willing to read it. It will change your life and the way you look at things forever(:
nichol (05/12/10)

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!
My teacher told me that M would like it, but I said I don't know but I would give it a chance. I'm glade I did because this is the best book. I could not stop reading this book and I would tell everyone about it; I cried and laughed and got angry with this book because it is so good. I thought I was a part of her life.
Teresa (05/28/08)

I’ve never spent the night in a Wal-Mart let alone had a child. I had never heard of Sequoyah, Oklahoma or had superstitions of the number seven. Yet I felt completely different after reading “Where the Heart Is”. Billie Letts took me on a reader’s journey that I never would have expected from looking at the cover of the book. Growing up isn’t the same for everyone and seventeen year old Novalee Nation found this out first hand. Yet she made the best of her situations and cherished each new thing she gained.

As I started to read the book, I pictured Novalee as a young, innocent girl still living at home with her parents. Letts portrayed her innocence very well, yet Novalee handled the pregnancy with an amazing maturity. By the end, I could see her transformation and knew that she had grown up and finally found herself.

This romantic comedy kept my attention throughout the whole thing and I read it in nearly a day. It was an easy read but was still so detailed that you could feel the characters' emotions running through you, from laughing at its humorous parts to crying at the serious ones. After finishing it, I felt like I grew right up with Novalee and was part of her life.

Billie Letts will lead you through this engaging novel with more than you expect. She got the idea for the book by shopping in Wal-Mart and thinking you could live there and have everything you need. I recommend it to anyone who is ready for an emotional journey that will make you believe in friendship and the power of love. Read this book to find out the lives of these amazing characters and more importantly, where the heart is.
Jessica (05/28/08)

I loved reading “Where the Heart is.” I felt like I was going on a journey with Novalee. It truly was an amazing story that I encourage everyone to read. This book was filled with love, laughter, little and big mishaps that made it a story I’ll never forget.
Brittany (05/28/08)

Where The Heart Is
This book is an easy read; once you get started you won’t want to put it down. It is filled with laughter and love. You feel as if you are one of Novalee’s friends and like you’re in the story with her. You feel her pain when she suffers a loss and you feel her happiness when she realizes she’s in love. In the story Novalee has to learn and grow with new friends and creates a family of her own even though it’s not the family she was born into its still her family. This book is a book that anyone can read and I suggest that they do read it.
Stephensa (10/24/07)

Wonderful
This book is a required book for my class at North High School. It is a wonderful book that is easy to read and understand. I am not a regular reader but am so into this book that I am five chapters ahead of my class. It is very meaningful and at the same time comical. There are many unusual and hilarious characters that really make this book stand out above any other. I would recommend this book to everyone.
no name (10/21/07)

wowowow
This book was one of the best books I have read in all my life.It touches you like your having her problems. I'm an author and I am amazed.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove