Reader reviews and comments on Seize The Night, plus links to write your own review.

Seize The Night

By Dean Koontz

Seize The Night

• Hardcover: Jan 1999,
    Paperback: Nov 1999,

There are currently 19 reader reviews for Seize The Night

Tom Brooker (07/24/12)

Beautiful nonsense
Strip out all of the obvious weaknesses of "Seize the Night" — the maddening, superfluous detail upon detail; the overworked similes and metaphors; the ridiculously impossible plot; the improbable oh-so-cool banter — and you still have a book well worth reading. There are passages in this book that are stunningly beautiful, worth reading and re-reading. There are insights and perspectives that are uniquely profound and tackle weighty issues: God, love, death, friendship, parenting, forgiveness, fear and courage. When Dean Koontz is being pure Koontz, and all the other nonsense is skimmed away, what is left is poetic and rife with impact. I'll be looking for Koontz when tries less to be a storyteller and more to be writer.
Jack Poleski (10/13/10)

Koontz seizes his readers patience
This book is extremely slow-moving compared to previous Koontz page -turners. It seems to lack the necessary insight and depth that readers expect when reading a sequel. Seize the night seems to be a mediocre plot written in the same place and using the same characters as in the prequel "Fear Nothing". The only interesting addition seems to be the addition of Mungojerrie the magical cat. But is this anything new or innovative compared to many of the fantastically talented and charming animals and creatures in other Koontz novels?
This reader thinks not.
The only reason I finished this book was out of the loyalty towards Koontz and probably to warn other readers to stay away from this one.
If you didn't read SEIZE THE NIGHT by Dean Koontz, then FEAR not, because you didn't really miss anything... sorry.
Lanni (07/14/10)

Nap time
It normally takes me about two-three days to read a book - any book, mind you, not just the ones I love. Four days tops. It took me seven months to finish this one. I read around ten books in between that time. It took me six of those months just to get through the first 100 pages. It has an excellent plot and good characters - but no one in the world needs that much description. There's like 28 pages just about the monkeys, and they come back for all of two pages at the end of the book, if that. Seriously put me to sleep, that book did. It was painful to slug through at times, and I haven't said that about a book for fourteen years. It was far too rambling most of the time - Chris may be interesting, but he knows how to go on and on like an energizer bunny until everyone passes out - went off course and more. There was about one sentence of dialogue for every fifty or so pages, at least for the first three hundred pages. If he cut that book in half, it'd be a much better read. Good book, just...difficult to get through or to even want to keep reading.
smarterthnu (04/02/10)

This Book Was Terrible
This book almost put me to sleep with all of the out-dated surfer lingo and painfully over described surroundings.
Laurel H (06/22/08)

a great 2nd
This a great 2nd book in what I hope will be an ongoing series It left me wanting more Chris Snow and his wonderful assortment of friends, including the great Mungojerrie, voted Koontz's greatest ever character by my two feline friends, Tigger and Monkeybat.
Audrianna (04/02/07)

Awesomeness
This book was very thrilling. It had me on the edge of my seat. Koontz describes his characters in detail so that you can visualize everything that is going on. This book is a must read, that will make you want to read on. It is definitely a page turner.
warcover (02/03/05)

Having just read this book made me curious to see other readers' comments, and no surprise, most of the reviews here and at Amazon.com, while lean, are positive (which "awesome" means, I think).
Koontz, well practiced and effective at crafting compelling yarns of this sort does yet another admirable job.
The characters here are in large part convincing, though the story drags towards the middle, plus some of the dialogue between the central character and his bestest buddy is thin (advocates of "awesome" see "lame"). One almost gets the sense that Dean had painted what he wanted, gotten bored with the composition, and was eager to get it over with, filling in the gaps in order to move on to his next project.
All that said, "Seize the Night" is not only engrossing entertainment but Dean Koontz at his best (meaning it isn't Blake or Melville, but then nor is it Stephen King, which is a good thing and about the highest praise any living writer in this genre could hope to have said about his work).

Overall? It's awesome. Dude.
Anonymous (01/12/05)

I like most of D.K's stuff but,this SIEZE THE NIGHT...???? I couldn't wait to put it down. Rambling on for pages with self indulgent descriptions of nothing happening......and then concluding with avery unconvincing PARADOX !!!

Al KAMINSKIS (AUSTRALIA)

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove