Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

By Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Sep 1999,

There are currently 129 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Grant Crow (01/01/04)

The Poisonwood Bible is well written, with underlying moral themes, but in parts the story sags and becomes less than entertaining.
Ashley (10/24/03)

I loved it. I'm a senior in HS and we had to read this for my multicultural literature class. At first the class was kind of ify about it because it was lengthy and about history and such but then every student couldn't help but fall in love with the characters and hope the best for them. She is a great author who made this book come alive and made you feel like you were there.
Kristin (10/06/03)

Wow-- talk about talent! Each section of The Poisonwood Bible is labeled as to who narrates it, but after a few passages, the labels are unnecessary! Kingsolver does such a good job at keeping each girl's voice independent of the others, the reader can quickly place each voice with its owner.
Kara (09/08/03)

This book is for those who like to think. It's simple: if you don't like to think hard then don't read the book. If you're up for a book that will challenge what you believe, buy it. All in all, I enjoyed it; it is very well-written. I agree with Pat; Kingsolver is a master at expressing what she really wants to say while making you think hard.
Elsa (08/19/03)

I just finished the Poisonwood Bible and I must say that it is one of the most impressive novels I have read in a while. Kingsolver succeeds in creating 5 distinct voices (for each of the Price girls and their mother, Orleanna) so unique and layered that you can't help but fall in love with them. Morever, there is an almost perfect balance in the book between the personal--that is the disintegration of a family--and the political. Not only that--these two elements actually mirror and act as metaphors for each other. Brilliant.
Miki (08/07/03)

plot is boring in terms of adventure and action. personalities are very well developed. rachel is the spoiled princess. leah is the adventurous tomboy. adah is the shrewd and observant cat. ruth may is the charming 5 year old. overall, the story is touching, accompanied with some humor, as you hear these four sisters talk about their time spent in the Belgian Congo.
alex (07/10/03)

This novel is at first some what hard to understand , with its metaphoric usages and its intriging languages. but once you are into a good portion of the story the book starts to unfold its plot . You follow this story across the map . This author has an interesting style of writing it is not only a plain story book but it is also an intimate diary in wich you will hear all five women cahrectors enter there deepest thoughts on what is at hand. I was assigned this book for a 9th grade summer reading assignement , and i addmit i still have pages to turn but i will expect much enjoyment.
Lil (06/01/03)

This book was the most wonderful thing that I have ever read. It does have a few dead spots (but what book doesn't), at the end though it leaves you with that feeling that you have just read a masterpiece.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist