Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

By Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Sep 1999,

There are currently 129 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Lauren (04/14/04)

This boos is absolutly amazing and I would reccomed it to anyone who wish to read a book that is life altering. This book is about religion but you do not have to know anything about it to understand. If I could give it more stars I would!!!
erin (04/07/04)

It was the best book ever, with unique and individual characters. You dont even have to read which character is. You have to read this book
Nicole (02/28/04)

This ranks as one of the best books I have ever read. As a mother of three daughters, I found myself relating in different ways to the four girls and then to my own girls. I loved the way Barbara gave each narrator such an individual voice, I didn't need to check who was talking. A great insight into the Congo in the 50's, beautifully written. A masterpiece!
Helen (02/26/04)

This book was amazing! i was only reading it for my english author paper but i got really into it and i think it's worth while for everyone to read it. there is to much to be learnt from it!!
Nina Kern (02/03/04)

This was an excellent book. The only hindering factor is that it is difficult to read at some parts. But it is insightful, enjoyable and thought-provoking.
book reading expert (01/26/04)

I hate this book!
Lizzy (01/16/04)

so far i've liked the book, but it is not the best i've read...it is however a difficult book to read and anyone who could write like that deserves my appriecation
Brechtje van Nunen (01/16/04)

This is a kind of book that makes you forget where you are and takes you on a trip through the lifes of the family Price in the Congo. It's one of my favorite novels because of the way the story is narrated by the four daughters and the wife of the preacher. It makes you think about how people experince religion in different countrys and different stages of their lifes. I recommend this book strongly to anyone who wants to go on a mission to bring the gospel to countrys so much different than where you come from.

Also the story is grate for the description of the African nature and it's beauty. But it doesn't leave out the difficulties of everydays struggle to stay alive.

I believe that in the end it is a very sad story about how one person can have so much influence on other peoples lifes that it takes them a lifetime to come to terms with that.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove