Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

By Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Sep 1999,

There are currently 129 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Kyle (06/07/04)

This book lacks any plot twists, and therefore lacks the ability to keep it's readers interested. It's contents will give you more femenistic perspective than you could possibly want or need, and contains about the amount of excitement and drama you would attain from going to church. Trust me on this one: Do not waste hours of your time to read this as dull as it is long 600 page book.
Becky (06/03/04)

I read this book, and I read many books, and thought that this was a very well developed book. Although the plot line was lacking action, there were deeper messages that were not just metaphorical, but expressed through the actual encounters of the characters and through the reactions of the community and family. It was an excellent represenation of a family from Georgia in the 1950s, portraying the stereotypes and other opinions that would be common to those certain peoples.
Jessica (06/03/04)

Im 17 and the poisonwood bible was sooooo great! it kept my attention and made me want to keep reading! (keep in mind that i am not a regular reader)
Lefty (06/02/04)

I'm sorry some people out there that actually enjoy reading a 600 page book that follows a thin plot line and feels like fingernails on a chalkboard. Personally i would rather use the book to give myself papercuts.
Nancy (06/01/04)

This book gave me an insight into a way of life I could never have imagined. The starvation, the danger from the wildlife and diseases were all brought into sharp focus by Kingsolver. Initially, the book had trouble holding my attention but the longer the Prices were in the Congo the more interested I became. Being a mother myself, it was very hard to understand, why Orleanna even brought her children into the Congo and even more baffling why she continued to stay. Even with the insights provided by the author into the character, I found her inability to act to protect her children infuriating. The father character was unspeakably deplorable to put his family at risk. Due to his actions, every single one of the family members he was ultimately responsible for suffered loss and had the course of their lives changed for the worse, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Adah. While I believe the book to be well written and informative, I can't say that I really loved this book because it left me with such a feeling of hopelessness and disappointment in humanity.
Keyton Williams (05/30/04)

I disliked the book very much. I believe the Americans were portrayed under a stereotype. Along with this the book just seems to be the kind of book you would read if your suicidal. It never truly has happy moments. The book itself is very dark and brooding. Although it did have some prodigious points, it just seemed too 600 pages too much of unnecessary negativity.
Dave (05/04/04)

I thought the book was well written and had many well thought out underlying themes that we can all learn from. However, I think she overstepped the boundary with her story. I don't agree with her views on America, the government, and Americans in general. She has shamed the entire country by rejecting its citizens in this book. This book only contributes to the stereotype of Americas that is prevalent around the world. Very few Americans are like Nathan and the American government is not as power hungary and greedy as portrayed in this book. It is completely acceptable for Kingsolver to believe this because I believe in freedom of expression, however, I think she should move to France!
Brad (04/23/04)

One of the best books I've ever read.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill