Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

By Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Sep 1999,

There are currently 129 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

me, and u do not need to no who i am (08/02/04)

MY FRIEND HAS TO READ THIS FOR SCHOOL AND HAS TOLD ME THAT IS PARTICULARLY TERRIBLE! WORD OF ADVICE, DO NOT READ IT!!!!!! IT'S A WASTE OF TREES AND IT SHOULD BE BURNED AND TAKEN OFF THE SCHOOOL CURRICULEM!!!!
haley (08/02/04)

i hate this book its horrible and depressing i had to read it for a summer reading project and i hate it. nothing goes right for the family and too many tragedies occur. im a freshman and i couldn't read the book after 4 in the afternoon it was so disturbing i couldn't sleep if i read it any later. i am also filing a complaint with the school to remove this book from their curriculum.
Lauren8651 (07/28/04)

This masterpiece captivates the mind as you twist and turn through the horrific but fantastic events the Price family encounters during their stay in the Congo. Seemingly real, this fiction portrays a young family of missionaries willingly receiving God's call to bring the Congolese people to the Light and in doing so they learn more about the reality of life than the Africans learn from the Bible. This amazing novel teaches countless lessons about American culture and the truths of religion through one family's journey. If you are considering this book, stop considering and run to the bookstore!!
Jim S. (06/29/04)

Someone left a copy at our summer Wisconsin home. The title did not intrigue, but the writing, the story told via many characters, the humor held me as no other novel in many years. Though I toured in Africa last year, this book illuminated much I had missed. There is a deep spirituality Kingsolver has captured in a tale with pace, zest and wisdom. She ranks up there with Nadine Gordimer. I am 78 but felt youthful as the story unfolded throught the Price daughters--Rachel, Leah, Adah and Ruth May.
Jamila (06/26/04)

What a book. I am doing my senior year in Australia this year and chose to do this book for my English course. I loved it because not only is it one of those books that you cant put down, but also there is so much to write about. If you are looking to write an essay / assignment - this is a brilliant choice. You wont be disappointed
J (06/24/04)

I am a high schooler who's been trying to find some good books to read over this summer, and boy did I hit a jackpot with this one. What makes the book so interesting is how the author wrote the story from 4 different points of view. This way, you can somewhat identify with the character that may be most like yourself. This book tells the story of 4 girls who are dragged to the Congo by their father, an arrogant Baptist missionary. It tells of the different hardships as well as the good times had by all of them. I myself kenw nothing about the Congo, and by reading this book, I was able to learn many things I did not know. It is a long book, with about 600 pages, but it's that way for a reason. It allows for there to be many details and to keep building the plot throughout the book. One more thing the book has the ability to do is change other's thoughts on racism. If you know anyone who is racist, then definately try to get them to read this book. I would definately recommend book to others and already have to my friends. It was a well written piece of art.
Sam (06/13/04)

I am a 22 male and found the book to be very enjoyable. It is not a light-hearted story however, the author does a very good job of conveying the suffering and struggle of the Price family and the state of the Congo during that period of history. The story was able to elicit emotions from this reader. As most good books; mostly sympathy for the Price girls and contempt for the father. The story even is able to manage some suspense to keep the pages turning closer to the end of the novel. I do believe that the story may appeal to females more than their counterparts. Not only because the story is told compeletely from a feminine view point, but the nature of their common tragedy may be more receptive to girls. My two cents.
~ (06/07/04)

I'm a high school student and read this tedious book for my ap 11 english class. The plot was too slow for the story line. i feel kingsolver woulc have had a much better book if she cut out all the biblical allusions because, as a non-christian, i honestly had no idea what she was talking about. THe constant religious reference failed to bring any metaphorical enlightenment to me, they only built a wall between mean and the text so that rather than draw u in i felt locked out. Her long descriptions of the congo at first are refreshing samples of imagery however she incessantly interrupts the story and disturbs the flow of the storyline with these repetitive bursts of imagery. My advice is to NOT waste your time toiling with this 600+ page book and in the true AP student fashion: read the sparknotes or cliffs notes both conveniently found ONLINE.eMailZ

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill