Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

By Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Sep 1999,

There are currently 129 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Jessica (11/22/04)

The poisonwood bible is a compelling and inspiring novel. From word go I found my world completly dismantled by the moving events that happened in the congo in the late 50's. This book brings you into the lives of the Price family and you learn to respect and disrespect each member of the family. It is one of the best books I have ever read as it, although being fiction, showed reality a lot better than our very own governments do. A definate read.
catherine (11/17/04)

I thought this book was awesome - I could not put it down! I really felt I learnt a lot about life in the Congo and was truly touched by the tragic events that touched the Price family.
cris (11/16/04)

This novel is truely engauging, spell binding and above all touching. No prior knowledge of African politics in the 1950's is necessary as Kingsolver weaves an accesible and insightful narrative that reaches out of the pages of the book and pulls you into a world of drama, trauma and failed optimism
Anonymous (11/10/04)

I found this book to be beautifully written, and I feel that I learned much about life in the Congo of the late 1950's. However, I feel Barbara Kingsolver (like John Steinbeck) write with the purpose of if it can go wrong, it will. A book that is so long should not be totally depressing...and this one was.
eb (11/04/04)

sweetnesss
whoopie whoopie (11/03/04)

it was awsome
Maria (10/27/04)

Simply Beautiful!
Rebekah De Grazia (10/26/04)

I am 15, and i completley enjoyed this book. It makes u look at your life, and see how it could be worse. If you had problems with understandinig the story line or any of the racial and political stuff, you weren't paying attention. also for all you ppl who are complaining about the lenght of the book, shut it.
I love the way they depict Nathan, he is so unrealistic, it adds some humor to the story. I can relate to all the characters, in there own ways, I personally found Adah to be the most interesting.
You should definently read this book!
(age dosen't matter)

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove