Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

By Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Sep 1999,

There are currently 129 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Sasha (02/25/05)

Thought provoking. The lengths countries can go to in keeping the wealth for themselves at the expense of the people of another country. Missionary work? Got to wonder if people we know who are doing just that, is it possilble wealth is a factor?
India Foutain (02/16/05)

I absolutly loved this book. Though true it is depressing you can't help but feel that Nathan got exactlly what he deserved
CJ (01/21/05)

Best book listened to in quite a while-and I read a lot!
Alex (01/11/05)

Well written book that shows the hipocracy of the American governmant and the ignorance of the American people very well. The character of Rachel is a classic example of a typical middle/upper class American woman (i.e very ignorant and naive to what is going on in the world around her). All Americans (and Europeans as myself) to read this book should feel ashamed of our nations for exploiting many of the third world countries for our own good and to improve of our way of life. The book shows highly how the American government used the "fear tactic" to justify their being in The Congo/Zaire, the "fear factor" being making the American people believe that the people of The Congo/Zaire (and other colonised countries) were actually a threat to America and the American people. Well done to Barbera Kingsolver for trying to open peoples eyes to the shocking truth.
Anonymous (01/02/05)

wonderful stuff..couldn't put it down
Nicole (12/23/04)

I am 18 years old and I read this book in my English Literary class, and I enjoyed it more than most of the books I have read in school. It was very well-written and I enjoyed the way Kingsolver wrote each part of the book. The allusions to the bible were also very interesting and I enjoyed how each character evolved through the book.
inglor (12/15/04)

i loved this book
Bethany (11/29/04)

This book is a definate must to anyone who does not know about American involvement in crucial countries like the Congo. It opened my eyes to American domination and how wrong we have been. I loved and hated this gripping work.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove