Reader reviews and comments on The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, plus links to write your own review.

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry

Donna Chavez

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry

Linda Bach (04/25/14)

Fascinating
I read this book in two sessions and only was able to put it down to get some sleep. I found the characters fascinating and became very vested in their welfare; I cared what happened to them as if they were real.
Carmen Kirschling (04/23/14)

Readers will rejoice
A lovely little story that reconfirms why we read, and why we love when others read, too!
Roe P (04/16/14)

IF YOU LOVE BOOKS.....
I totally loved this book.. It takes place in a small bookstore in an out of the way town. It is a little bit of everything, love story, family saga. The characters come alive and the story is such a sweet story. I recommend this book to every one who loves books or just wants a good book to settle down with.
Lola Michaels (04/14/14)

Sweet Read!
This book was, hands down, a gem. From page one Zevin had me involved in a whirlwind of full bodied characters and I couldn't put the book down until I finished. There were nice surprises along the way and I learned to look out of the small clues she left like bread crumbs. AJ was quite a sharp personality, but I found myself cheering him as he moved from utter desolation to opening himself to the possibility of a good life. The distinct personalities of the book company rep (bigger than life), the town cop (ever so subtle with AJ), the sister-in-law (harsh ... but really not in the end). I don't want to give even a little bit of this story away so I leave it at that. There's the heart of a small town here, but never in a way I would expect.
Darcy (04/09/14)

Charming Story of Lives IN a Bookstore.
This book started out rather prescribed, or so I thought. I thought I knew WHAT was going to happen, until the "surprise" upon Mr. Fikry's doorstep. What happened during the rest of the book grabbed my heart, tore it at the edges, and also made me laugh and fall in love with Mr. Fikry. His "reviews" throughout the book (with his daughter as the audience) were poignant and witty, especially if I had read the book he was reviewing. This story also taught me a little of how a bookstore operates, things I wondered about; lots of fun facts. This author hit the mark with this book. I adored this story and think of it as a lovely book. You CAN teach an old (grumpy) dog new tricks, so to speak. Go get a copy of this book today – you will fall in love with Mr. Fikry, too! I give this book a double-thumbs-up.
Betty Taylor (04/09/14)

A Must-Read for Those Who Truly Love Books
A must-read for people who truly love books. To quote from the book: "Bookstores attract the right kind of folk. Good people...And I like talking about books with people who like talking about books. I like paper. I like how it feels, and I like the feel of a book in my back pocket. I like how a new book smells, too." Gabrielle Zevin must love books in order to write that. It really gets to the meat of things.

This is a totally delightful story of a curmudgeonly man who runs a bookstore on Alice Island. His wife was killed in a car accident and he has lost the zest of life. One day he enters his bookstore and finds a package marked for him. The contents of this package totally turns his life around. The characters in the book are real. I found myself really investing my emotions into their lives. Joy, sadness, loneliness, comfort. It's all there. I really hated to end my visit to Alice Island.
Jill (04/09/14)

I absolutely loved this book!
Maybe because I'm a bibliophile this book just reached out and drew me right in. Who wouldn't want to live above a bookstore? The characters are well-developed and lovable. Reading about the lives the build and the changes they go through took me right into their world. I couldn't put it down. Don't you love when that happens?
Maybe it doesn't have the stereotypical happy ending but that's ok, life seldom does.
A must read for book lovers!
Dianne S (04/02/14)

A Storied Life Well Lived
I am truly sad this book ended. I pine for the characters and for Island Books.

This story of loss, love and the love of books was touching without being overly sentimental. The characters, thrown together by chance, are so endearing and such real people that I am so disappointed that I can not continue to be a part of their lives. Island Books is a living breathing character all itself. The ending, let's just say "Happy" there seems to be a hopeful future for books shops and booksellers everywhere once people read this book! Hug your bookseller today as they are an important part of your "collection".

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill