Reader reviews and comments on The Valley of Amazement, plus links to write your own review.

By Amy Tan

• Hardcover: Nov 2013,
    Paperback: Jul 2014,

Judi Sauerbrey

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Valley of Amazement

annielong (01/30/14)

It is clear that Amy Tan read Daniel DeFoe
I am a HUGE Amy Tan fan. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, all of her previous books. But...The Valley of Amazement was a HUGE let down. The more I read the more I was convinced that she was ripping off Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders. To many similarities, and for god's sake they named the baby Flora. What? I almost stopped reading at that time, but wanted to continue reading to find an original idea or concept. Please, tell me it's not true...Is Amy Tan too tired to write another original and authentic book? I hope not!
D M Parks (11/20/13)

Worth The Wait
I am an avid reader with a preference for all books set in Asia. Anyone who has read Ms. Tan's prior works knows she is a excellent story teller with an exceptional command of language. Reading THE VALLEY OF AMAZEMENT I found that I did not just read a book but was transported on a lifelong journey with Violet. At times I felt I was living her life and became a bystander to my own which I can do since I am retired. My husband gave up trying to pry the book out of my hands as I slept. I wanted the book at my fingertips when I awoke so I could continue on my journey with Violet. The novel spans a lifetime for Violet and all the major characters. Ms. Tan did something I find rare..she somehow provided the sense that I now knew the complete story, no questions left unanswered but with a wish that I had 100 more books of this caliber waiting for me. I recommend reading the Acknowledgments which explains the amount of research that went into writing the book which I think explains why the book seems so real. Enjoy!

by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove