Reader reviews and comments on The Goldfinch, plus links to write your own review.

By Donna Tartt

• Hardcover: Oct 2013,
    Paperback: 6 Jan 2015,

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Goldfinch

Eileen Pierce (12/22/13)

Dickens meets the 21st Century
Kudos for Donna Tartt and her complex characters and riveting plot. Yes, art in whatever form brings us as close to ourselves as we will ever get. It is where through understanding others we discover ourselves. This is a novel of ideas, a splendid, spellbinding, stunningly written saga for the 21st century. The Goldfinch is a metaphor for the world in the aftermath of 9/11 and the state of fear we have lived in since. Is it too long? Certainly not. Are 10 words as transforming as brilliantly written 200? Absolutely not. Tartt is not for lazy readers, but if Tom Wolfe captured you, if Dickens transported you, if Tolstoy riveted you to each page, then read The Goldfinch, for there is nothing quite like it -- except for Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things -- out there at the moment. Great writing can be as long as it needs to be.
lyn (11/23/13)

disappointing
Pretentious, empty characters, endlessly plods on with irrelevant detail. Badly written - why use 10 words when 200 will do. Theme - read the last 2 pages and skip the rest - life is awful, art's the rainbow in the sky.
Jane H. (11/09/13)

THE GOLDFINCH
I wish your reviews went higher than 5 ….. I would give this book a 10. Although 800 pages in length, I was bereft when I had to finish the last few pages knowing my time with this story was over.
This book had everything I love, superb writing (I read sentences over and over again at times just to marvel at her ability to make words magical), great story that shifted in time and place with each shift making the story better ….. I even loved the feel of the paper the text was printed on. That said, I will caution that the Dickensian bent of this book will not put it on everyone's Hit Parade. But, for me, it was THE BOOK of 2013. I see a Pulitzer, Donna Tartt!

Carel Fabritius and The Goldfinch

Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.

P Your O C