Reader reviews and comments on Calling Me Home, plus links to write your own review.

Calling Me Home

By Julie Kibler

Calling Me Home

• Hardcover: Feb 2013,
    Paperback: Jan 2014,

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Calling Me Home

Ariel F. (Madison, WI) (11/27/12)

An unlikely friendship -- Miss Isabell and Dorrie!
This is an outstanding debut novel!
Alternating between the present and 1930/40's, the author draws you into the lives and conversations between an elderly white woman and a young black hair dresser as they drive from Texas to Ohio. Both women have secrets that they have guarded but end up sharing with each other. In reading the novel, issues such as race,love,family, segregation are dealt with in a sensitive manner.
If you liked The Help or The Kitchen House, you will enjoy this well written and researched novel.
This is an ideal book for a book club to read.
I am waiting on Kibler's next novel.
Margaret L. (Petoskey, MI) (11/27/12)

Great Debut Novel
Calling Me Home is a touching story about a man and a woman who come from different life styles but are joined together by love. It is also a story of two women who develop a strong friendship and a deep respect for each other on a road trip from Texas to Ohio. The story touches on many emotions. I laughed, I cried, I became angry and in the end, I felt a deep appreciation for the diverse people in my life.
A great debut novel by wonderful storyteller, Julie Kibler. I will be watching for her next book.
Bobbie D. (Boca Raton, FL) (11/26/12)

Miss Isabelle
In Shalerville, Kentucky in the 1920's, slaves were free but segregation remained. The sign at the beginning of town said, "Nigger, Don't Let the Sun Set on you here in Shalerville".

Isabelle began a friendship with the black son of the family housekeeper as a young girl and it grew. Decades later Isabelle, now 90 years old, asks her young black friend and beautician Dorrie to drive her to a funeral in Cincinnatti. On this drive, through chapters by Isabelle and Dorrie, past and present, we learn of the history of the women and how their friendship affects them. Along the way, Isabelle, with some help by Dorrie do crossword puzzles with answers such as pensive and exquisite that become part of the story.

Their conversations and the people they encounter along the way are brilliantly written and brought me to tears before the end. Racism is a terrible thing and the author brings it to our attention so well.
Ilene R. (Northfield, IL) (11/24/12)

A moving road trip of discovery...
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down. It alternates between present day and the late 1930's and 1940's. It's the story of Isabelle and Dorrie. It's about family, race relations and most of all love. The two women, from different backgrounds, have lessons to learn and to share. This book has so many layers. It's sad and touching. Keep a box of tissues handy!!!
Loren B. (Appleton, WI) (11/21/12)

beautiful and bittersweet
On the surface this novel could remind one of a Romeo and Juliet story, but underneath it is so much more. It makes a person question why we have our prejudices when underneath we are all just human beings with the need for friendship,love and acceptance.

Sundown Towns

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove