Reader reviews and comments on Calling Me Home, plus links to write your own review.

By Julie Kibler

• Hardcover: Feb 2013,
    Paperback: Jan 2014,

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Calling Me Home

Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI) (12/07/12)

Calling Me Home
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I can not put it on my list of best books I ever read. The story was very nice and had a few small twists in it that weren't expected, but on a whole it was very predictable and maybe a little too nice. This book would go on my 'read in between heavy reading books' list. It was a very easy read and I got a picture in my mind of the two main characters that held true to the end. I would highly recommend this book for a summer or vacation read.
Wendy F. (Kalamazoo, MI) (12/04/12)

Journey
Calling Me Home affected me more than any book has in a very long time. The emotions that run through Isabelle's story of her past and the current difficulties that Dorrie is dealing with bring us a rich and satisfying tale.

Their bond grows as Isabelle unravels her life in words along the road from Texas to Cincinnati. O. Henry-like twists occur that take your breathe away.

Friendship often does come in the most unlikely places. This couple's friendship is truly a special one that deepens as Isabelle's story is revealed. Calling Me Home brought laughter as well as tears. Journey along with these amazing women and find love and longing as their journey moves forward.
Laura G. (Buffalo, NY) (12/04/12)

A Ride to Remember
Calling Me Home has a masterful way of drawing in its reader. The car ride, to a funeral across country, brings together two unlikely travelling companions. The story the older woman shares with the younger woman is a story for all to hear. It bridges time, age and race in a poignant, bittersweet tale that impacts, not only the two characters, but anyone who picks up this book. I'm so glad to have read it and highly recommend it.
Celia A. (Takoma Park, MD) (12/04/12)

Shining a light on a sad side of history
There weren't many surprises in this book; I could see most of the developments coming from a mile away. But I was OK with that, because I really cared about what happened to these characters. This is a book that deserves to be read, especially with regards to U.S. history of "sundown towns." And if you want to know more about this unfortunate side of our history, I suggest you follow this book with James Loewen's non-fiction "Sundown Towns."
Amber B. (East Sparta, OH) (12/04/12)

Powerful, heartbreaking story.
While sellers may try to compare this to "The Help" - and yes, the storytelling rivals it - this is instead a love story. Powerful and gripping, you'll be surprised with the characters as the details of a forbidden romance unfold, changing two people and everyone else in their lives forever. Definitely pick up this book for your reading group, literature class, or a great read.
Molly K. (San Jose, CA) (12/02/12)

Wishing for More....
It is difficult to criticize a story whose subject and characters are so compelling.

I found the story to be well written, if occasionally overtold and often repetitious. The random crossword puzzle injections were welcome and pleasantly distracting.

However, the story itself was predictable. Within the first few pages, I easily anticipated what would happen next, in the same way we predict the next crisis of a good soap opera. As I read, I felt I was always 2-3 chapters ahead of the writer. This story has been told many times.

This is not to say that it is not an important story. However, I learned nothing that enhanced my interest or broadened my understanding of this dreadful piece of American history.

One final thought. The writer developed her main characters in terms of black and white (no pun intended. Isabelle, Robert, and Dorrie were presented as "all good". Dorrie's mother and brothers were presented as "all bad." A story told from the viewpoint of Cora and Nell, whose lifelong struggles of allegiance to two worlds, might have been a better read.
Alice S. (East Haven, Ct) (12/01/12)

Moving Love Story
Calling Me Home, which at first I thought might be a cliched story line, at the end moved me to tears (and I don't cry easily). The back and forth of the narrative between the current time and the 30's and the circumstances and hardships of an inter- racial love were both moving and hard to forget. The characters of Dorrie and Isabelle and the close bond they had was a great example of the importance of women's friendships in each others lives even though their backgrounds may be so different. A very touching book that I will be thinking about for a while.
Helen S. (Sun City West, AZ) (11/29/12)

A Journey to Understanding
Julie Kibler has successfully tackled the difficult issue of racial equality in her fascinating debut novel told in the first person by Miss Isabelle and Dorrie on their journey from Texas to Ohio. The long car trip gave the women the time and opportunity to divulge their life stories in a believable way; however, the ultimate purpose of the trip came as a surprise to me. As a reader who had lived in the South before desegregation, I could empathize with the societal restraints and pressures Miss Isabelle wrestled with throughout her life.
The engaging style of the author kept me reading as I discovered more and more of the intimate secrets as the women revealed them to each other. When the book ended, I realized that the lives of Miss Isabelle and Dorrie were much more alike than their ages, skin color, and circumstances might have suggested. I highly recommend Calling Me Home to readers interested in a story filled with love, mystery, life-changing secrets, and the consequences of racial inequality.

Sundown Towns