Reader reviews and comments on Calling Me Home, plus links to write your own review.

By Julie Kibler

• Hardcover: Feb 2013,
    Paperback: Jan 2014,

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Calling Me Home

Susan J. (Twain Harte, CA) (12/14/12)

One of my favorite books of the year
I really loved this book and I didn't want to put it down. I fell in love with the characters who were so well-drawn that I felt I knew them. I laughed and cried and felt such sadness and regret for Isabelle. I can't wait to suggest this book to my book group because there are so many issues in the book to discuss. One can't overlook the strong message from the author that the civil rights struggle is not over.
Lee M. (Creve Coeur, MO) (12/14/12)

Oh, my what a ride!!
Dorrie, a hairdresser in Arlington, Texas, is asked by 'Miss Isabelle," a very good customer, to drive her to Cincinnati, OH. She does not explain why, only that it is important and she will not fly, so it would be a long two-day trip, 986 miles. Dorrie must close her beauty shop and have someone stay with her family, but she respects, admires and considers Miss Isabelle a good friend, so she agrees. Driving Miss Isabelle turns out to be more than Dorrie signed up for, but it turns out to be a sweet extraordinary ride for the reader. Why this trip is so important to Miss Isabelle is only one of the sweet confidences revealed on this magical trip.
Linda P. (Medford, WI) (12/14/12)

A Great Debut
Julie Kibler's story starts slowly. Two distinct personalities, races, & ages that seem so disimiliar that one wonders how this is going to come together, but come together it does, beautifully! I so enjoyed this novel & look forward to reading Ms. Kibler's works in the future. Four stars for Miss Isabelle & Dorrie!
Alyce T. (San Antonio, TX) (12/13/12)

Calling Me Home
This was a very enjoyable book to read by first time author,Julie Kibler. It's not a page turner but it keeps your interest so that you do want to keep reading. The story is mainly about 2 women- very opposite at first glance. Dorrie is a young black woman and Isabelle is an elderly white woman. They embark on a journey which turns out to be not only from A to B but a journey of their lives. They confide in each other along the way and tell each of their past. It's a hard book to talk about without revealing the plot. It is a very believable character study of two women of different backgrounds who find they are very much alike besides being good friends. You'll enjoy the book and want to read more by Julie Kibler.
Rayna T. (Auburn, CA) (12/13/12)

Calling Me Home
Once I got into this book I really liked it. The 2 main characters interrelated so well even though their ages were far apart and being black and white. They were lovely to each other.

I never did guess the ending till I was all done with the book.

I will write some more in a little while.
Sandy P. (Gainesville, FL) (12/12/12)

Excellent book, worth investing the time.
I especially liked the way the author went back and forth between the issues of a forbidden inter-racial relationship in 1939 and Dorrie and Isabelle's present day trip to Cincinnati for a funeral. The closeness of the two women and their ability to bare their soul to each other was heartwarming. Everyone hopes to have at least one friend like that in their life. Their fondness and genuine love of each other removed all racial barriers that might have existed. Even right up to the last few pages new information and characters were introduced and had bearing on the story, so don't stop short of finishing. The final pages wrapped up all the loose ends and yet were very sad, but in a good way.
Barbara B. (Alta Loma, CA) (12/12/12)

Calling Me Home
This book was great!!! I loved going back and forth from Isabelle's story in 1939-1941 to Dorrie's present story. Isabelle was way ahead of her time & the strongest character in this story. I must admit I did have the ending figured out, but it did not stop me from cheering for Miss Isabelle & Dorrie. Their amazing friendship was priceless.
Michelle N. (Hillsdale, NJ) (12/07/12)

You'll want to read this in one sitting!
When Miss Isabelle asks her hairdresser, Dorrie, to accompany her a long distance to attend a funeral, we are not sure whose funeral or what it has to do with the two main characters. But along the way, we are drawn into Miss Isabelle's story, as told to Dorrie. And what a story it is! This book will keep you reading and enthrall you with the story of Isabelle's life; the characters are well developed and the story will grab your heart, right until the last page - I loved this book and would highly recommend it to book clubs and anyone looking for an un-put-downable read - fantastic!

Sundown Towns