Reader reviews and comments on A Land More Kind Than Home, plus links to write your own review.

By Wiley Cash

• Hardcover: Apr 2012,
    Paperback: Jan 2013,

There are currently 38 reader reviews for A Land More Kind Than Home

Sandra S. (Charlotte, NC) (03/10/12)

Very engrossing read!
I read this book (A Land More Kind Than Home) in an afternoon. Well written, entertaining, and thought provoking. Definitely describes small mountain town North Carolina.
Patricia M. (Davidson, North Carolina) (03/10/12)

Beautifully Written
This is a very good read. I could not wait to read it each day and when I was through, held it in my hands and tears came unexpectedly. The history of the area in North Carolina at the time of the novel was excellent. The characters were well developed and the author made you feel that you really knew them. I will look forward to reading other novels from this very talented writer.
Laura P. (Atlanta, GA) (03/08/12)

A Land More Kind Than Home
This story, which revolves around a rogue preacher and a faith-healing gone wrong, leaves a number of questions unanswered - but that's it's only weakness. Voiced through three characters - a midwife, a sheriff, and the younger brother of the victim, Cash's tale provides a clear sense of place, excellent character development, and a clear story line with just enough backstory to define all of the character relationships. There was room for more detail, but the author's restraint in providing it kept the story crisp and compelling. I did not want this book to end, and I will certainly read Wiley Cash's next effort.
Freya H. (Phoenix, AZ) (03/07/12)

A Land More Kind Than Home
The title alone tugs at the heartstrings! Personally, it was difficult to get past the subject matter of this book. Some of the images were very disturbing. Although this book may have been an unwise choice for me to review, it's also clear that Wiley Cash has written a powerful first novel.
Sharon A. (Tierra Verde, FL) (03/07/12)

Something Different
A well written story on a topic that might not be that interesting to many people except for the expertise of the author. The characters were well developed and the book was compelling enough to read in one sitting, you can't wait to find out what happens. Being from the South, I have certainly heard of these religious practices, but the author made you want to know more even with such a difficult topic. The book was definitely something different than so many of the book topics today. I would love to read another book by this author.
Debra C. (Vienna, Georgia) (03/06/12)

A LAND MORE KIND THAN HOME: Simply, the Best!
As an avid reader, I encounter many good books and a few that are really good. A Land More Kind Than Home is without a doubt, one of absolute BEST that I have read. So compelling, it could be read in one sitting; so beautifully written, I found myself reading most of it twice-once for the gripping story and again as his words
are just so mesmerizing. His characters, their tales, and the story Cash weaves, will stay with you long after the novel ends; Wiley Cash is right on with his haunting debut!
Trezeline B. (Columbia, MD) (03/06/12)

A Land More Kind Than Home
A very interesting view of a culture that I am not familiar with. This is a story in which the characters are so well developed that the reader actually develops feelings for them. The story is some what sad but shows what can happen when hypocrisy becomes the way of religious people. I enjoyed reading this book.
Jennifer B. (new castle, in) (03/05/12)

Jens review
The story started slow but soon picked up speed. Wonderful character development. I would have liked to have had the preacher and Julies version of the events. The glimpse inside that relationship was far too brief. This is a book that makes you think about religion and secrecy and how bad that combo can turn out. I was thinking about this story long after I finished the book. I look forward to future books by Wiley Cash. Thanks BB for the opportunity to review this novel.

The Search