Reader reviews and comments on The Night Circus, plus links to write your own review.

By Erin Morgenstern

• Hardcover: Sep 2011,
    Paperback: Jul 2012,

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Night Circus

Kathrin C. (Corona, CA) (07/21/11)

A Most Pleasurable Escape
The Night Circus brought me completely back to long-gone childhood days: settling in the big chair with a pile of books borrowed from the library, picking up one, curling up and completely losing myself into a wondrous faraway place populated with intense and captivating characters – ones that I might want to hang around with forever, and a story that leaves the everyday reality lost in dense fog. And continuing to read on and on, ignoring those annoying "come to the dinner" call outs or that mandatory "lights out, go to bed" order. An amazing first novel – and it better not be the last one from Erin Morgenstern!
Karen J. (Bremerton, WA) (07/17/11)

Too much icing; not enough cake.
Too much icing; not enough cake

I was looking forward to this book so perhaps my expectations were too high. No question about it, the story is unusual and the author has done a magnificent job of building an atmosphere full of nuance, allusions and magic yet although the imagery is exquisitely poetic, for me the plot upon which it hangs wasn’t muscular enough to support it. The characters never engaged me and the story line, although intriguingly packaged, was ultimately disappointing. This might be of interest for a book club because the story is unusual but beyond that I see little fodder for discussion.
Patricia S. (Yankton, SD) (07/15/11)

Do I have to come back?
Wow! Just finished The Night Circus and want to return immediately. This is a first novel which reveals an extremely talented and imaginative author, along with a mystical, magical world of love, conflict, and courage. I will carry this story and these characters with me for some time, and intend to highly recommend it to my book club. Oh, and I'm going to rush out and get a marmalade kitten to teach.
Maureen C. (Ardsley-on-Hudson, NY) (07/15/11)

A Gem of a Story
I did not want the story to end! Celia and Marco are sympathetic characters manipulated by two men to compete in a show of magic. From the tents of the performers to the smell of caramel, Morgenstern brings the Circus alive as a separate, unique character. Wound through the story is a feeling of subtle menace that kept me reading. I was reminded of Peter Straub’s novel Shadowland, Ray Bradbury’s Something Wicked This Way Comes, and the magical realism of Latin American literature. Older teens and adults will find this a fascinating read. A possible book club selection, too.
Kathy W. (Appleton, WI) (07/15/11)

The Night Circus
This is the most incredible book that I have read in years! It is in a league of its own and I predict that it will be a huge success. This is THE book that I plan to buy for family and friends.
William E. (Honolulu, HI) (07/15/11)

Salammbo Move Over
And I thought that Flaubert could write sensual prose as a counterpoint to his journalistic style. I found the book a great read. The book is a major achievement for nothing else than the cinematic descriptive evocations of places, characters, etc. Loved it.
Paulette G. (Washington, GA) (07/13/11)

The Night Circus
This is a very intriguing book! I am excitedly turning pages and enjoying the magical (no pun implied) language that prefaces each movement of the characters.....What a joy it would be to see this book adopted for a movie....there is enough suspense that accompanies the personality quirks of each character...a nightly joy to read!!! Thank you.
Darlene M. (Rancho Mirage, CA) (07/10/11)

The Night Circus
I loved this book!!! It is mystical, magical and illusionary. The characters are well-defined. The plot keeps us guessing and is a real page turner.
This is a first book for Erin Morganstern and hopefully a best seller!

Mrs. Hemingway