Reader reviews and comments on The Homecoming of Samuel Lake, plus links to write your own review.

By Jenny Wingfield

• Hardcover: Jul 2011,
    Paperback: Jul 2012,

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Homecoming of Samuel Lake

Irene M. (Ashland, OR) (07/15/11)

Wonderful Book
This novel was a real "page-turner." I finished it in two days. Besides having a very unusual, but memorable cast of characters, (although the father, Ras is somewhat overdone) the plot has many twists and turns, which certainly hold a reader's interest. I'm a city girl and don't know anything about rural Arkansas, but the author's description brought home to me the hardship of living in difficult and uncertain conditions and the joys of a loving family. I certainly look forward to Jenny Wingfield's next novel.
Iris F. (West Bloomfield, MI) (07/15/11)

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
Every once in a while a book comes along that takes you on a ride and touches your very soul. The Homecoming of Samuel Lake has that rare quality. Set in Arkansas in the '50's and beginning with a family reunion, this is a family saga that is rich in character development and plot without ever becoming overbearing or tedious. The characters were interesting and the various plots held my interest through every page. This is a book I will treasure and will enjoy recommending to others.
Annie P. (Murrells Inlet, SC) (07/14/11)

An Edward R. Murrow subject - You Are There!
The Homecoming of Samuel Lake is high on my list of all-time favorite books! It reminds me of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle in many ways: the rural setting, the practical people, the children, and a good mystery woven throughout the story.

I found it very hard to put the book down, even when my family was complaining of famine in the kitchen and no one to pay attention to them. It was an effort to pull myself away from this beautifully written tale of a family, a town, and the intermingling of all their lives. Ms. Wingfield has done a wonderful job of catching local dialect and putting all the emotions of the people into words that gave us the feeling of being there and listening, rather than just reading about it. I am certain that my friends and fellow book club members will be as excited about this book as I am.
Marie A. (Warner, NH) (07/13/11)

What's Not to Like?
What's not to like in a book filled with traditions, family values, miracles, faith, integrity, unforgettable characters, the author's ability to weave a well-conceived story--and of course the forces of good and evil? I hated to see this book end; it was a page turner. Though tragedy and sadness play a part in the novel, the author adeptly presents her readers with hope for the characters and faith in their futures. Perhaps Wingfield has considered a sequel with Swan and Blade as main characters?
Sarah N. (Corte Madera, CA) (07/13/11)

I loved when Samuel Lake finally came home!
When is Jenny Wingfield coming out with her next book? I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There were times when it was "hard to watch" yet, I could not put the book down. Swan Lake and Blade were two incredible characters that were easy to love.
Viqui G. (State College, PA) (07/12/11)

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
This novel was a very satisfying and enjoyable read. It has been a long while since I've read a novel with such finely drawn, complex characters. As a reader you really feel like you could drive up to the Moses homestead and immediately know everyone sitting around their supper table. The Moses/Lake extended family has several conflicts and a great deal of tension builds up as the novel reaches its climax. Major themes in the book are: good vs evil, truths and lies (and something in between!) , family strengths and the power of love. It was poignant but not cloying. I recommend it heartily.
Doris K. (Angora, MN) (07/11/11)

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
The author tells a fascinating story of two families, although neighbors, are completely different. Their lifestyles, child raising ideas and family ties offer great contrasts.

Skillfully woven into the story is how these two families intersect and lives are changed. The story contains some violent acts thich are necessary to develop the character's personality. Although the story takes place in the '50's the needs and passions of people have not changed.

I enjoyed reading this novel and will recommend it to my book club. I can imagine this book would lead to a good discussion for any book club.
Kathy S. (Danbury, CT) (07/11/11)

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. The first sentence drew me in, and I had a hard time putting down this book. Two families, relatable characters, the ins and outs of everyday life - with a miracle or two thrown in as a matter of course. Life is full of good and evil as depicted in this book, and faith can triumph against the odds.

Literature of the American South