Reader reviews and comments on The Tiger's Wife, plus links to write your own review.

The Tiger's Wife

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 10 reader reviews for The Tiger's Wife

Clara (10/13/12)

Not worth the cost.
As someone who is retired and on limited income I have to chose my reads wisely. I really tried to read this book and kept hoping it would grab my interest. Half way through I had to give it up. Too many tales intertwined and uninteresting. I would not reccommend this book to anyone.
campy (03/08/12)

too confusing
A hard book to read-- I have read hundreds in my lifetime and this one was a complete waste of time--
Virginia (01/28/12)

a confusing maelstrom of events and characters
What was this book trying to say, except string together an unlikely mixture of apparent fact, fable and myth into incredibly long sentences which meander and jump from one thing to another. Do yourself a favour -read something else! The book club I attend, another one in Muswell Hill and many work colleagues feel the same and many did not finish it.
avward (01/04/12)

Indigestion
Although a good first novel, I do feel it wasn't necessary to have that many myths/legends or folklore stories to get her point across. I feel with all that that was going on, I got a bit lost and found the history of characters like the 'apocrapher' and the 'bearman' unnecessary and distracting from her main story. However, I would have liked to have read all about them in her next book, as they are worth telling. I feel the author had too many ideas and could have kept some for the future novels.- Slightly 'overworked', a mistake that young painters often make on an artwork.
In conclusion, although well written, I have indigestion from this over stuffed feast of stories and time frames! For me a 'simpler meal' would have sufficed perfectly.
Judy R. (11/24/11)

Extraordinary.
I read this book twice in immediate succession. Not because it was obscure, but because it was multidimensional and I wanted to savor all facets. The story-line alone was compelling and life-like in its detail. And profoundly personal in its omissions. If you are looking for a book that fits comfortably into the usual parameters of neat endings and predictable plots, be prepared for a paradigm shift. If you are willing to be lured into the depths of defining fear, love and meaning through your own inner dimensions - unfasten your seat belt and see where you land.
Dorothy T. (09/10/11)

Original fiction
This novel is a mixture of reality and fantasy, but it's choppy construction and large group of characters make it hard to follow and the ending unclear. The author may be on to something original; it may be interesting to see what she does next.
avid (07/25/11)

what? when? who?
While there were some intriguing ideas expressed in this book, it just didn't have enough clarity for me to "get" the author's message(s). The commingling of actual and fictional history and geography really threw me for a loop. I never could get my bearings in either realm. Too much metaphor/parable also left me guessing about what direction the author was trying to get me to follow her in. And the ambiguous "girlfriend"? I suppose it doesn't really matter if it was a lesbian relationship or not, but why the ambiguity? I think this author has something to say, but I don't think she has really said it in this book.
Cynthia (07/16/11)

Great read - and a lot to think about afterward
This is a book you will be thinking about for weeks after you read it. The interwoven stories are fascinating, but the author leaves it to the reader to do a lot of the work of putting them together. The stories are metaphors for a larger theme, and I re-read many parts of the book at the end to figure out the overall meaning. I think that the author should probably have made her metaphors more apparent, but then again I have really enjoyed puzzling out my interpretation. The author is an incredible storyteller who can hold your interest even when you aren't sure where she is taking you.

Magical Realism

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

The City