Reader reviews and comments on Little Princes, plus links to write your own review.

One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal

By Conor Grennan

• Hardcover: Feb 2011,
    Paperback: Dec 2011,

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Little Princes

Annette S. (Duluth, GA) (11/30/10)

Little Princes
A remarkable story of how volunteering for three months in a Nepalese orphanage changed the author's life. He acquaints you with the culture, politics and everyday life of Nepal. But what I found most heartwarming was the children he introduces to the reader. They are so appreciative of even the smallest gift and able to make up entertaining games with discarded items. A great discussion book for Book Clubs. If you liked Three Cups of Tea this is a book for you.
Bess W. (Marlton, US) (11/29/10)

Going home
Conor Grennan's quest to help the lost children of Nepal is an astounding journey. This well told novel is full of suspense, war, corruption, self-awareness and above all about love and caring. I would recommend this book to all--young and old. As in Three Cups of Tea and Mountains Beyond Mountains we are reminded that one person can make a difference and that we should all try to make a difference.
Priscilla M. (Houston, TX) (11/27/10)

A Must Read!
It is inevitable that comparisons will be drawn between The Little Princes and Three Cups of Tea, but Conor Grennan has written a book that deserves to stand on its own. Told in equal proportions of humor, compassion, and honesty, the story relates how the author came to be involved with a children's home in Nepal at the beginning of a year-long journey of travel around Asia and Southeast Asia. After volunteering at the home for three months, he vows to return. The children at the home are not orphans, but rather "disappeared" children, sent away by their parents to avoid conscription into the Maoist army in Nepal. Grennan and a French volunteer named Farid become obsessed with the idea of finding the parents of these children, most of them from the remote village of Humla. The story of this quest and Grennan's own personal growth draw the reader into a compelling story of how individuals can make a profound difference in the world by the simple act of caring about the welfare of others. I could not put the book down once I started reading it.
Marti F. (Coralville, IA) (11/25/10)

Outstanding book!!
This amazing book came about because the author decides to take a trip around the world but makes the decision to start out by volunteering for three months at an orphanage in Kathmandu, Nepal. He does this even though he read in the volunteer brochure that there is a civil war going on in Nepal (1996-2006), but it is not directly affecting Kathmandu. He even admits this whole idea seemed "ludicrous", as he has never spent much time with kids and cannot think of a single skill he possesses. He even admits to doing it mainly to impress people.
He walks through the gate of the orphanage and his life is changed forever. He learns that he is good with children, they love him and he falls in love with them. But he also comes to learn that they are not truly orphans, but have been stolen from their families by human traffickers, gone through who knows what - including slavery, and then were rescued by the orphanage. He learns of several more orphanages like this in Nepal and that there are thousands more children in Nepal who have not been rescued.
What follows shows what one person, with a strong, single-minded conviction, along with many other like-minded people he has met in Nepal, can accomplish when they set their minds and hearts to it and never give up, even in the face of extreme hardship. I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with the children and was amazed over and over again at their resilience, strength and ability to laugh and play as a way to cope with their inner pain. And most of all, I thanked God for people like Conor Grennan, for this outstanding book and for the work his organization continues to do for the lost children of Nepal.
Amber B. (Canton, Ohio) (11/20/10)

Breathtaking memoir!
Conor Grennan writes with humility, humor and grace - Little Princes is riveting. I truly could not put it down; at the same time, I didn't want it to be over. Reading this flawless memoir is like traveling to Nepal - you'll be captivated by the scenery, struck by the challenges her citizens face, and fall in love with the people themselves, especially the children. Readers are going to be talking about this book for a very long time!

Next Generation Nepal

by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist