Reader reviews and comments on Bury Your Dead, plus links to write your own review.

A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel, #6

By Louise Penny

• Hardcover: Sep 2010,
    Paperback: Aug 2011,

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Bury Your Dead

Maggie P. (Mount Airy, MD) (10/14/10)

Bury Your Dead
"Bury Your Dead" grabbed me from the very beginning and kept me involved until the end. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, as he tries to recover from a previous incident, takes the reader on a tour of Old Quebec. Along the way, the reader learns about the tensions between the French and English residents of Quebec. Multiple story lines keep the reader involved in the story. This was my first book by Louise Penny, but it will not be my last.
Alan K. (Westport, MA) (10/06/10)

Bury Your Dead
Good characterization; excellent description of the many years-long stress and strife between the Quebecois and the Anglo Canadians; fun way to experience Quebec City; three mysteries solved ... all in all a fun book and, although part of a series, can be read with comfort as a stand alone. Definitely recommended.
Karen L. (Antelope, CA) (10/02/10)

The best of the Three Pines mysteries
Author Louise Penny has hit a new high with "Bury Your Dead." Always strong with character development, in this book she also proves to be a skillful storyteller, with an intricate plot that comes together beautifully at the end. The author artfully manages to pack an emotional punch in a story where all the characters and their foibles are already well known to the audience. Any devoted reader of Agatha Christie, indeed any reader of mystery books, will likely find "Bury Your Dead" to be an affecting, but satisfying, novel.
Jane R. (Plantation, FL) (09/29/10)

I want to go to Quebec
I really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more of Louise Penny's books. I liked the characters, but particularly liked the descriptions and history of Quebec. I will be planning a trip there soon - as soon as winter is over!
Ann D. (Clermont, GA) (09/28/10)

Penny Scores Again
In Louise Penny's "Bury Your Dead", two homicides are solved and Inspector Armand Gamache struggles to recover physically and mentally from a terrorist attack that leaves him near death and with much guilt and despair over the loss of fellow officers.

As usual Penny's characters are well-drawn, complicated, and fascinating people, and we revisit the small village of Three Pines as well as Quebec City Penny's books are never disappointing and she continues to produce sophisticated, compelling fiction.
Katherine S. (seaford, VA) (09/22/10)

Nesting Dolls
Quite good and as involved as Nesting Dolls...3 mysteries within a mystery, just like walled Quebec City itself...as is mentioned in the book. Good pacing & character development and very atmospheric. Recommend this to all readers...mystery lovers, travelers, and history buffs alike because you feel like you are in snowy Quebec for Carnival and learn much of its compelling history. Loved the "brave" loyal dog, Henri.
Elaine B. (franklin, MA) (09/22/10)

Three Pines AND Quebec City
Does it get any better than this? I don't think so. We get to see a more personal side of Gamache and visit some old friends and some new. A touching and interesting story. Louise Penney just gets better! Please keep writing Louise. I was totally involved from beginning to end and I hadn't read the previous book! I highly recommend this book and Quebec City and Three Pines and the whole series!
Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ) (09/21/10)

Bury Your Dead
This is the first time I have ever read Louise Penny and since reading this book, I have reserved the first book in this series from my local library; loved this book! I love mystery and this book did not disappoint. One of the favorite things I like is getting involved in characters and these characters are unforgettable. There are several story lines and they are terrific. One of them refers to the previous book which I will have to read. I have told all my mystery buff friends about Louise Penny and look forward to reading her prior books in this series as well as future books. What a gem. I will definitely recommend it to my Book Club.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

P Your O C