Reader reviews and comments on The Queen's Lover, plus links to write your own review.

By Vanora Bennett

• Hardcover: Mar 2010,
    Paperback: Mar 2011,

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The Queen's Lover

Melanie J. (Rosemary Beach, FL) (03/11/10)

The Queen's Lover
A good read. I love to read historical fiction and learn about the time period amidst the story. Ms. Bennett weaves some wonderful themes of love and commitment for children and the search for freedom. Sometimes I got bogged down in trying to remember the numerous characters as I read. The story is full of lots of twists and surprises with a wonderful ending!
Sandra L. (Newton, MA) (03/08/10)

An insight into the real Tutors
This very long (over 500 pages) historical novel involves the merge of France and England in the 15th c . Part fiction and part historical you are involved from the beginning of the intrigue and diplomacy of the rise of the Tudors and the French connection.

All of the fiction is based on historical facts including the burning of Joan of Arc.
Slow to start, mainly because of the history involved, one becomes involved with the hurts and lives of Catherine Valaus This is a novel which shows the beginning of the Tudor Kings and Queens and if you are interested in how it all began, than this is novel for you.

Full of surprises and actions of the 15th C. England and France, this novel is highly recommended reading
Judith M. (San Diego, CA) (03/06/10)

The Queen's Lover
I don't usually choose to read historical fiction, but I know it is popular with many readers. As I'm interested in the historical subject matter, I thought it would be interesting to give it a try. While the story started slowly with a bit too much romance for me, I was particularly drawn to the difference between France and England in their attitude toward royalty. That was something I hadn't given much thought to and find that it explains so much. Certainly "The Queen's Lover" would appeal to readers of romance, history, and book groups as they would find many topics for discussion.
Joanne V. (Towanda, PA) (03/03/10)

The Queen's Lover
I loved this book! One of my favorite periods in English history and about two characters, Catherine Valois and Owain Tudor, that I had only read about peripherally in the many books I have read about the Lancaster/York and the War of the Roses. Catherine and Owain's grandson, Henry VII ultimately defeated Richard III one of my favorite Kings and one of the most unfairly maligned ending the War of the Roses, and it was interesting to learn about Owain Tudor especially. I would recommend this to anyone who loves historical fiction!
Judith P. (rosebud, missouri) (03/03/10)

Bring History to Life
I enjoyed this book because it takes characters from history and makes them real people. One has no idea of the hardships of royalty. You can identify with the constant struggles of survival. The intrigue and subterfuge needed to maintain one's life becomes ever-present. Love and disappointment go hand in hand.
Patricia M. (Highland Heights, OH) (02/25/10)

The Queen's Lover
The Queen's Lover opens a new window in to the stories of the monarchy of England that has not been seen in great detail in the past. With our interests in Henry the VIII and the Tudors, this is a story showing "how they got there" and what happened before there was a Henry the VIII. Bennett does a wonderful job making you feel that you are watching this story unfold in front of you. It puts the other stories in a new light having seen what went before them. It is an excellent way to learn of the time and to feel what it was like to live them.
Sandra H. (St. Cloud, Minnesota) (02/21/10)

The Queen's Lover
Lovers of romance will enjoy Vanora Bennett’s story of Catherine de Valois, youngest daughter of France’s King Charles VI and Owain Tudor, a member of Henry V’s English entourage. More than just a love story, the novel brings readers into a time when one misstep could end in death, imprisonment or, especially for women, being used as a pawn by men.
Carol C. (Troy, NY) (02/21/10)

The Queen's Lover
Despite the title, the book's focus is on Catherine of Valois rather than Owain Tudor. What drew me to the book is that it relates the story of two people who are, perhaps, lesser known to history and seemingly acknowledged more for their connections to the widely known Henry V (a relatively minor character in this book) and their descendants, Henry VIII and Elisabeth I, than for themselves.

The story is entertaining and held my interest throughout, although the writing could have been a bit tighter - the book is nearly 600 pages long. That said, the author is adept at conveying to her readers the physical and political world of early 15th century England and France.

The Queen's Lover is an enjoyable read about a relationship that ultimately leads to an unlikely marriage (where the book ends), given the written and unwritten rules of the day.

Christine de Pizan