Reader reviews and comments on Out of My Mind, plus links to write your own review.

By Sharon M. Draper

• Hardcover: Mar 2010,
    Paperback: May 2012,

Tamara Smith

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Out of My Mind

Madison M. 7th Grade Student (02/07/11)

Amazing Book
Out of my Mind is a wonderful book! It shows what it is really like for Melody. She is very smart but nobody can see it yet. Sharon M. Draper make this book positively amazing. I recomend this book to any 5th through 12th grade reading levels. This is the most favorite book of all time. I could read it over and over and feel something different each time! This book is AMAZING! Please read it, Happy Reading.
Jason Park (01/17/11)

A Really Good Book
Out of My Mind is a very good book. I rate the book 4 out of 5. I read the book because I have entered the Battle of the Books for 4th grade. When I saw the cover of the book, I thought it was going to be a bad book. But, after I read the book it turned out to be good.
Omlett Happyface (07/29/10)

My omlett opinion
Out of my Mind by Sharon Draper is a really good book. I read it for a book report going into the 7th grade. It was one of the best books that I ever read. Melody goes through what I like to call an inner journey. She finds herself and where she belongs.

This is a book for someone who hasn't found themselves yet. But its still awesome when you have found yourself. I love this book. And...I hope I get an A on my report! The End!!!
Kimberly Richardson (06/25/10)

Out of My Mind
Out of my Mind by Sharon Draper is a great young adult novel. Melody Brooks is an eleven year old girl with cerebral palsy. Although she is the smartest in her class, no one will know it because no one will see past her handicap. Out of My Mind brings you to feel and understand that a handicap does, in no way, prevent you from achieving great things. Although Melody struggles physically with everyday things that an average eleven year old is able to do, such as walking, talking, feeding themselves, and simply using the restroom, she can do a lot more mentally then any ordinary grade school student can dream of.

When Melody was in the fifth grade, she was put into inclusion classes where she got to interact and be in a normal classroom. That is when students and teachers first started to realize that how Melody looks and acts on the outside doesn’t reflect how she thinks on the inside. After a few weeks in Mr. Dimming’s history class, Melody received a perfect score on a history test that qualified her to be on the Whiz Kids team. That is where the best and brightest 5th and 6th grade students compete with other schools around the world. Melody is so excited to be on a team and finally feels normal. Her team makes it through the first round and is traveling to Washington to the national level.

Out of My Mind is the ultimate story that teaches you not to judge a book, or in this case a person, by its cover. It teaches you that despite handicaps, you can achieve greatness if you work hard and believe in yourself.

What is Cerebral Palsy?

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove