Reader reviews and comments on State by State, plus links to write your own review.

A Panoramic Portrait of America

By Sean Wilsey, Matt Weiland

• Hardcover: Sep 2008,
    Paperback: Oct 2009,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for State by State

Patricia (11/04/09)

State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America
I truly enjoyed this book and I will continue to find it useful as time goes on. Not only is there an intriguing essay about each state but also there is an opening page for each state providing a variety of geo-political and cultural information about each, as well as some comparison tables in the appendix.

Since one can easily skip around I quickly went to each of the states in which I have lived since I was a child. I found the essays really captured my recollections of each state. I currently reside in Oklahoma and was thoroughly amused by Ms. Hinton's final comments.

Since Oklahoma also suffered one of the biggest terrorist attacks on US soil she felt that people around the world would have an example of the nobility and grace, with which Americans can cope with such disater and would understand why she chooses to live here. Instead they still ask why Oklahoma?

Even if you have never spent time anywhere else in the US, you can enjoy true reflections of the good, the bad and the beautiful about each state.

Well done, I say.
Betty (11/04/09)

State by State
The book is arranged alphabetically by state, so I began with Alabama (civil rights movement). Deciding to stay in the South, I went next to Georgia (Chinese immigrant buys first home). Then to Florida (boy enjoys endless sun and surf).

Deciding to leave the Hot Zone, I headed for Alaska (fishing for king salmon) and Oregon (365 days of showers, interrupted occasionally by sunshine). Then to the Midwest and Illinois, which claims to be first in everything (but what about North Carolina, which is First in Flight?) On to stalwart Vermont, some of whose citizens want to be the first to secede from the Union. I hope they don't prevail; 50 is such a nice round number.

The articles are both fact-filled and entertaining. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't enjoy reading them.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove