Reader reviews and comments on South of Broad, plus links to write your own review.

By Pat Conroy

• Hardcover: Aug 2009,
    Paperback: May 2010,

There are currently 27 reader reviews for South of Broad

Elizabeth (09/23/09)

South of Broad
Pat Conroy has done it again. I was completely immersed in the book. The characters were described so well, I felt as if I knew each one. His love of Charleston is strongly sensed by the reader.

How wonderful for a group of friends to be so strongly bonded. An excellent book.
Deborah (09/23/09)

South of Broad by Pat Conroy
I have been an ardent fan of Mr. Conroy and waited impatiently these last 14 years for another novel, after reading Beach Music. I was ecstatic to see that South of Broad was 500 plus pages and looked forward to his unique command of language and his ability to spin a story that captures a reader's attention from the first sentence.

The 14 year lapse did nothing to diminish his wonderful way with words, drawing the reader into a world of words that are pure pleasure to reread over and over. I can not say the same for the plot or the character development. I found the plot to be predictable and boring. The novel seems to be overburden with too many characters that lack character development and a reason to continue in their varied relationships. The novel is disjointed in the 20 year transition from childhood in 1969 Charleston to Part Two where the only thing that changes is the year,1989.
I had no doubts that my 14 year wait would be rewarded with another Conroy masterpiece ...sadly, I was wrong.
Linda (09/23/09)

Somewhat of a let-down for a huge Conroy fan
This book is, essentially, a love story - to the city of Charleston, the Catholic faith, and friendship. While I won't go into plot specifics, like all of Mr. Conroy's previous novels, the writing is very descriptive, and the story is framed by a tragic childhood. The book employs many references to James Joyce and the reader unfamiliar with Joyce will miss some of the suggested nuances. While I enjoyed the book, I didn't love it the way I did his previous novels; it just wasn't as powerful.
Kathleen (09/23/09)

South of Broad
Mr Conroy's new book South of Broad was worth the wait. Making use of the magic of language ,he tells the story of a time,a group of friends and a city. These themes are woven together in a seamless interdependent manner. This book will appeal to a broad reader base.
Linda (09/23/09)

South of Broad in true Conroy style
With characters as lush and vibrant as a Charleston garden, Pat Conroy weaves a story about life-long friendship and human connection that cannot be broken by time, distance, nor violence. Conroy's writing is tragic, with even more Southern drawl and flair for the dramatic than his previous novels. A must-read for all fans in search of the Great American Novel.
Mary Lee (09/23/09)

A Wonderful Beach Book
With South of Broad, an ode to the beauty of Charleston and the joys and sorrows of friendship, Pat Conroy pulled me into his imagined world from page one. It's not the first time this has happened and I hope it won't be the last. The most vivid complex character is the city itself. He captures the smells, sights, sounds and spirit of this beautiful, fragile place.
Fran (09/23/09)

Another winner from Pat Conroy
I was so pleased to have the opportunity to read and review this book. I have read all of Mr. Conroy's fiction and enjoyed the books in varying degrees.

I found the descriptions of Charleston so vivid that I felt I was there. The story itself seemed to bog down in the middle, but by the end of the book I was totally immersed in the world of Leo King and his friends.

All in all, a pleasure to read.
Sheila (09/23/09)

South of Broad
South of Broad is a novel by one of my favorite authors (Pat Conroy) about one of my favorite cities (Charleston). I was prepared to love it, and I did. Conroy's lyrical descriptions of Charleston (and also San Francisco) are magnificent. There are elements of chick-lit here - all of the women are beautiful and sexy, the men are all accomplished - but the beauty of the writing compensate for this. There were scenes which I found entirely unbelievable, but I did love the plot lines and especially liked the character of Leo. I thought that the San Francisco section dragged on a bit. But the ending of the book was exceptionally strong. I love Conroy's sense of humor. Here's hoping that we don't have to wait so long for his next work. He is a real treasure. I will certainly recommend this book to friends and to my book club.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist