Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

One Child's Courage to Survive

By Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It

• Hardcover: Oct 1999,
    Paperback: Oct 1995,

There are currently 260 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Krystal Webb (10/22/12)

thetrue courage and faith he had in his youth
I just cant believe that it happened to him....he was just a small young boy.....its soooo sad I wish I could have been there to help him even though I'm only 14:/ awww I just want to cry and help him... at least that he got out of that mess...I just want to go to that woman and ask her why the heck she abused that boy! The faith he had through all that beating shows that he is such a strong person inside and out. I'm so happy that he is such an awesome person and has a lot of faith and courage and has God. I just loved the book it made me cry and cry and then get mad but at the end he showed her he has such a strong personality (:
kami (05/26/12)

the true courage he had
What a book; I loved it. I felt and feel bad for him, but the past is the past and you can't change it. I cried most of the time I read it, I would throw the book to the wall and think what kind of person would do that to their child. I sometimes think that the Dad is worse than the Mom, because he could have grabbed the kid and run, so what the were drunk and alcoholics they can't be that crazy. I'm a child fyi!
nathan (03/30/12)

Sad and scary
This book was sad and scary at the same time. I had to read this book for reading and I was super sad. This actually happened to him. I think he is 52 years old now, but he was 10 or 11 years old when this happened.
Laura (02/16/12)

A Life-Changing Read
I purchased this book many years ago at a garage sale and let it sit on my shelf, knowing that one day I would have to face it and read it. I feared that day because I knew what was in store... but I felt it was something I had to do. Just the other day, I picked it up and read it all within a few short hours. I could not put it down; the pages just flew by. I found myself moved to tears several times and just marvel at the intensity of his experience... it will make you feel more human than you may have ever felt, as well as open your eyes to the beauty of life and how thankful you might be for what you have. I know that is the case with me. Now, I'm aching to read his other books to continue learning more about his life after these unspeakable experiences. An awesome tale of the bravest boy ever.
Arianna Dante (01/28/12)

Not a factual story!
This is NOT an autobiography. The author made the entire story up! Remember when it was on Oprah's list of novels to read; she praised the book and the "man" who endured this abuse. However, it was not a man but a CHARACTER. The entire story is fictional!

Editor's Note: Although there has been some debate the truth of this book, it is is generally held that the book is largely factual. Some newspapers have questioned this; however the author continues to claim it to be true, and has been supported in this by his brother and former schoolteacher.
Pray Jones (01/11/12)

What a Book!
I love this book! its number one on my list. The fact that somone would actually put there child through this type of abuse really puts me to total pain.
Im really glad that he overcame it and was able to tell people about it!
bubbles (01/10/12)

a child called it
This book is a really amazing book. It's also upsetting how he got abused by his own mother :/
libby adams (01/08/12)

this book was fantastic! 3
I can not believe that you survived through all of that brutal beatings.. I am just glad that you did! All of your books are so fantastic.. I am going to read all of them! :)

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill