Reader reviews and comments on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, plus links to write your own review.

By Stieg Larsson

• Hardcover: Sep 2008,
    Paperback: Jun 2009,

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 47 reader reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Brenda (09/27/08)

A Surpisingly
A bonus book with 3 stories in one, one theme ends and leads to the next only to be brought back to the original. The first 10 pages left some doubt about the ability to stay with the book. Then, it picked up speed and never stopped; even the ending was a surprise.

The references to misogyny were subtle and a good reminder of what an unchecked society can allow. This condition is alive and well throughout the world.
Neil (09/27/08)

An Outstanding Book
The reader of this outstanding book will be intrigued by its plot, character studies and thrilling mysteries. However, there is much more to be gained from it. The late author was an expert Nazi hunter who understood better than most how sadism and economic greed motivated the followers of Adolph Hitler. One caveat: this book contains explicit sexual violence.
Karen (09/27/08)

Lisbeth Salander & Kathy Mallory: Separated at Birth?
In "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", Stieg Larsson has written a blockbuster read with, after a slow start, breathtaking plot development and several of the oddest, most intriguing and likable characters in crime fiction. As a fan of the mystery genre, I couldn't help but compare Stieg's character Lisbeth Salander with Carol O'Connell's Kathy Mallory. Both protagonists are somewhat "damaged"; Kathy by living on the streets as a child and Lisbeth by being misdiagnosed as mentally incompetent and cruelly abused by a sadistic guardian. Both have a unique sense of justice and are brilliant computer experts working outside of the rules. Having such characters helps to keep the work fresh and unpredictable. Stieg's main character, Mikael Blomkvist, is equally fleshed out, but Lisbeth outshines him (see the title). Stieg cleverly blends several plot lines together to form a cohesive story line that will keep everybody guessing and reading! (The reader should be aware that there is quite a bit of graphic violence.) I highly recommend this book. You won't be disappointed!
Cathy (09/27/08)

Twists and Turns
Any novel that starts with a diagram of the genealogy of a family scares me, but this one proved to be a winner of a mystery. Descriptions of the characters and the setting bring the story to life and even though some of the story line is predictable, it is still a page turner.
Kate (09/27/08)

Good mystery thriller
The prologue grabbed me right away. The next several chapters are hard to stay with, but if you do, you will find a satisfying novel. There are numerous characters to keep track of but I did not have difficulty with that. I found the characters very well developed considering how many were in the book. Being the first novel of a trilogy, I am anxious to read the next two novels. Book clubs would have numerous areas of discussion with this book.
Lani (09/27/08)

Run to buy this one
Although not a fan of crime fiction, I could not put this book down. I have shouted to the rooftops to anyone I know that they must purchase this book.A compelling mystery, binding a dysfunctional family with larger themes of corruption, greed,and investigative journalism makes this book the number one book of the year!
Maryanne (09/27/08)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
After several false starts, I eventually managed to get past the very slow beginning. (I trusted there had to be a reason why this book is a best-seller all over Europe.) Once I'd reached the halfway point, it was almost impossible to put this book down. I'll be waiting impatiently for the two subsequent novels.
Robert (09/27/08)

The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo
I can't say that I've ever read a book that I "couldn't put down", but occasionally I've found one that made it difficult to stop thinking about and get on with whatever my task is. This book is one of those. It's a very different take on a "closed room" mystery with two very strong lead characters and a satisfying conclusion. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes a good, well written mystery .

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove