Reader reviews and comments on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, plus links to write your own review.

By Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Abbee Lloyd (12/05/13)

Everything you need.
I am not going to lie, I was skeptical of this book. My mother suggested it and she has a questionable background for good literature, but I am so happy to have nothing but good things to say about this book.

It takes place back in World War II England. London initially and then changes scenery when an early thirty-something female writer (Juliette) begins receiving letters from a strange group of Guernsey Island Citizens. Juliette has grown tired of writing about the sunny side of the war and desires to be in the thick of it. Her correspondence with a group of odd and delightfully entertaining strangers pulls her into the thick of war stories and the tale of a wonderful heroine.

This group of letters will make you cry and get excited for people you have never met, but already feel like you know. From the firecracker wit of the main character to the soft spoken support, I wouldn’t change a thing about this book, and even though it may not be the most fast paced book you ever read, it will make you feel like you are peering into another’s letters and experiences. I commend the author on how she was able to capture the different voices and writing styles of so many genuine feeling characters. When you finish you will have come to know and appreciate a new family. This is a book I will read more than once in my lifetime.
lydia Jackson (12/28/11)

the guernsey literay and potato peel pie society.
The characters were unbelievable. Juliet was no London lady who had lived through WW2. She is the fantasy of an American with over-romantic views the realities of war and the occupation by an invader. Yes this can be researched and this author has give a story of superficial understanding.
Pat (06/30/11)

Are you kidding me?
I read a lot of books and enjoy a wide variety of literature so when this book was recommended to me I couldn't wait to get started. I read about 20 pages and realized that I needed to go back and start again because I must have missed something since I was bored and quite lost as to what was going on. I started over again and then stuck it out to page 114 when I realized that NOTHING had happened and I was still bored. I hate to give up on on a book but with limited time to spend reading for leisure, I just couldn't waste one more minute on this one. I don't know what everyone sees in it. I give it a thumbs down!
Anna (02/20/11)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Chosen by our book club it is one of the best books I have recently read . I cried and laughed in equal measures. What a sensitive approach to the Occupation of which I knew very little. It has spurred me on to delve a little more into that period of history. I didn't want the story to end. They were characters I felt I would have liked to meet in real life -so diverse and interesting. I can only say that I hope Annie Barrows might re introduce Mary Ann Shaffer's characters again at a later date. For her one and only book a real triumph.
Xara (08/22/10)

Sucky Book
I hated this book it was so boring and had nothing in it that made you want to read it any faster. The only thing that stopped me from stopping half way through was that I had to read it for school. A complete waste of my time.
joyce (08/15/10)

the guernsey literary and potatoe peel pie society
What a great book!!!! I'm sorry it ended but happy I had the opportunity to read it. I actually cried at the ending.
Louise (08/01/10)

As delicious as pie!
It was the name of the book that first caught my eye and intrigued my interest. I knew very little about the Island of Guernsey or its involvement in WW2. The letter writing format made it easy to pick up and put down and I loved how the characters began to grow in my imagination as they shared their stories with one another. Some stories were both fun and light hearted and yet others told of the sad consequences of the German occupation and that time in history. I highly recommend this great book.
Lynn (07/19/10)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
This was the most fun I had reading a book since I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" many, many years ago. The story in some places is very sad, and the history is very interesting, but never do you tire of the diverse characters. Just like in Mockingbird, they develop until you just want more. The book is not life changing or deep, it is just fun. I would recommend this book to everyone. I definitely give it a 5 thumbs up, I would give it more, but I can't.

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world...

P Your O C