Reader reviews and comments on An Incomplete Revenge, plus links to write your own review.

A Maisie Dobbs Novel

By Jacqueline Winspear

• Hardcover: Feb 2008,
    Paperback: Nov 2008,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for An Incomplete Revenge

Sharon (03/30/09)

An Incomplete Revenge
The lush descriptive detailing of the English countryside provides an atmospheric backdrop for Maisie Dobbs’ investigation into the mysterious incidents taking place in the rural village of Heronsdene in the 1930’s.

A vivid portrayal of the tensions between the cultures of the hop-pickers, the gypsies and the townspeople is richly displayed through the use of dialect, history and landscapes.

Through her relationships with Maurice Blanche, her father and Simon, among others, Maisie Dobbs has developed into a fully dimensional main character whose sixth sense along with a highly methodical thought process help prepare her for the most difficult of situations.

The myriad of secondary characters tended to bog down the plot and I found myself losing interest well into the second half of the book. Certain developments towards the end somewhat re-engaged me in the story, unrealistic as they seemed.

Symbols such as the Michaelmas daisies and the importance of identity are interwoven throughout the story. But, it almost becomes more of a somber statement of culture clashes and lessons in death than a mystery.
Linda (03/03/08)

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear
I really enjoyed this book. As an Anglophile, I recognized many of the geographical details. I thought her descriptions of the era were very good. The plot was believable and the suspense certainly held my interest. I would recommend it to anyone especially book clubs and readers of historical fiction. I plan to read her other Maisie Dobbs book very soon.
Karen (03/03/08)

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear
I kept humming "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" as I read this very fun, light and satisfying mystery from the Maisie Dobbs series--for these are the suspect groups in murder and theft. In fact, I was reading three books at the same time and was always a bit sad that I had to pick up the other two. The author has won many awards for the second book in the Maisie Dobbs' series, "Birds of a Feather" and I enjoyed this one just as much.

A detective and psychologist in a post WW I era, Winspear gives us lots of insight into the sense of loss, confusion and fear after the Great War as she investigates this cozy English town of people. Without angst, the theme of letting go and holding on to a more naive time and its people, runs throughout the book for many of its characters without being the book's focus. The resemblence to our own post-9/11 fears, regrets and losses is part of its dignity. And figuring out "who done it" still felt like a great mini-adventure.

I'm a real bibliofile and reserve a "5" for a select few. I'm sure for many others this book would have been a "5."
Phyllis (03/03/08)

An Incomplete Revenge
World War I has been over for more than ten years, but its events still cause repercussions for Maisie Dobbs in An Incomplete Revenge, the fifth adventure of the unconventional investigator. Investigating suspicious property crimes, Maisie asks questions in the village of Herondene. Local gentry and villagers' secrets are revealed as she investigates. Readers learn more of Maisie's history and speculate about her future when some ties to her past are severed. A caring person, Maisie becomes involved with those she investigates. Another great adventure set in a time mostly forgotten, it also delves into social and economic ills of the time. Highly readable and well written.
Robert (03/03/08)

A Quiet, Compelling Mystery
This unusual detective series keeps getting better with each installment. Maisie Dobbs is an original creation; she’s thoughtful and deliberate, but not dull. The post-World War I setting adds intrigue and some emotional punch to the plot (which is also quite unusual). I found this an easy, engaging read. I recommend it for readers who don’t need a lot of overwrought action and manufactured suspense in their mysteries.
Marie (03/03/08)

A complete pleasure!
I happily anticipated reading Winspear’s latest in her Maisie Dobbs series, having read and enjoyed the previous books so very much. She recreates the pre/post World War I era in England superbly. I was not disappointed!

Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs makes her life’s journey with intelligence, grit and courage and commands respect from all who encounter her. She is a woman who has the audacity to become both a psychologist and an investigator at a time when women had few options. Winspear resolves her complex plots and character motivations very skillfully.

In our harried high-tech world, it is refreshing to recall a time when letters were eagerly awaited and phone calls were luxuries!
Shirley (03/03/08)

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear
Maisie Dobbs is the most unusual Private Investigator I have ever met. Her analytical and unusual methods of solving a case make for the best kind of reading. She is kind, polite and very caring. She brings unusual people together with her warm personality. After reading her first book about Maisie, I was hooked. Her sensitive descriptions of her work as a nurse and the effects of war on returned soldiers and their families are so timely. This is the fourth in the series and just as absorbing. This entire series would be excellent for a book group.
Linda (03/03/08)

An Incomplete Revenge
Loyal readers will discover a more mature, confident and independent Maisie Dobbs in Jacqueline Winspeare's newest Maisie novel. Like Maisie herself, Winspeare's plotting and fully developed character comes of age. Using psychology, the author weaves the threads of the mystery together as Maisie resolves truths about herself. I enjoyed the book for its setting in the early 1930's and the location in Kent. Maisie Dobbs fans will be eager to read this new title in the series.

The Roma People in Britain