Reader reviews and comments on The Road, plus links to write your own review.

By Cormac McCarthy

• Hardcover: Sep 2006,
    Paperback: Mar 2007,

There are currently 19 reader reviews for The Road

AJ Haag (04/25/12)

The Road
In a post-apocalyptic world, a man and his son walk across a country covered in gray ash and rubble. The novel, The Road, offers a compelling story of love and hope. Winning a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, Cormac McCarthy has written a masterpiece. That is pretty well done, considering McCarthy never graduated college. In fact, the novel was considered exceptional by so many readers, that it was made into a film, directed by John Hillcoat.

The Road starts out as a slow novel, full of very descriptive words that in the end make the novel more confusing. This means that the book is a higher level reading novel. This should not discourage people from reading this truly impressive story.

McCarthy, known for writing darker stories, continues this writing style throughout the book. The novel keeps the reader guessing with many twists and unexpected turns. The Road was written in a style in which characters were given no names. One will find that this style allows for a connection between characters unlike any novel they have read.

I felt like the ending was the only part that could have been changed throughout the novel. However, McCarthy again continued to feed off the reader’s imagination. The ending offers hope for the entire ash covered world. Overall, this was a good novel. The only negative about the novel is that it starts out slow. I would recommend this to a friend that loves to use their imagination.
Alexis VanHorn (04/25/12)

The Road
Cormac McCarthy’s book The Road is a touching book that changed the way I look at life. The Road makes you realize everything that you actually have and to never take anything for granted. This book goes by very fast and is written beautifully. As you read the book you feel like you are there and going through all of this with them. Living with no water, no food, and no shelter it is tough but their love never fades away. He likes to write in a poetic form which brings more meaning to what he is writing. McCarthy actually took conversations that he had with his own son and put them into this book. To me, I loved the book and would recommend this to anyone who loves to read. It is such a well written book and very easy to read.
Dave (08/08/11)

The Road
I would read this book on my lunch hour at work. After closing the book I would thank the Lord for my food because I was transported from The Road.

I was the third person walking next to the father and son but how could this be done it's only a book or is it? I've been trying to find out how this book fools my brain into thinking I'm there with them? I have found 2 other books like this but nothing comes really close.

The poetic statements about every third page brings "awe" and wonder to the reading journey, in fact I forget I'm reading and forget time all together.

This book makes finding fiction more difficult because I'm subconsciously comparing the Rolls-Royce to regular car. Examples: Deep stone flues where the water dripped and sang. Who writes like that?
Brayden Stotler (04/06/11)

Nice
I loved the book. Wow, it is the bomb.
Ally (10/18/10)

Great Book
I just read this book for an AP English IV paper. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unlike another reviewer, I liked McCarthy's use of the stereotypical father/son (father willing to do anything to protect the son). I found that it made the book relatable to all people, for all are the child of someone. Regardless of your relationship with your parents/children, you can relate to a desire to have a relationship in which another person whole-heartedly loves and cares for you. The presence of this stereotype softens the otherwise harsh and chilling tone of the novel. The short sentences and abundant but simple dialogue is given depth by the relationship between the father and son.
I would write more, but I am off to write my paper. In summary, I really liked this book and would definitely recommend it to people of all ages and backgrounds. Threads of love and hope are woven through the scenes of sadness and struggle. Great for a book club or a school project, as it is easy to read but dense in meaning and varied in interpretations.
Karen V (02/18/10)

Review: "The Road"
The Road is one of the most compelling books I have read that elevates the value of life, no matter how bleak the circumstances.
From the first sentence to the last, you are drawn into the theme as a traveler with the man and boy. You experience every step, every good fortune, every savored morsel of food, every drink of water, every shelter from the cold.
If you are seeking a story that portrays real hope, faith and love, you will want to read "The Road".
Cooper Conrad (01/13/10)

The Road Review
The Road is a compelling book with a great plot theme and story line is memorable.
TL (01/13/10)

'The Road' Review
‘The Road’ is one of the most twisted and beautiful books I have ever read. Each paragraph is written in an almost poetic style. McCarthy writes: “All the day they traveled through the drifting haze of woodsmoke. In the draws the smoke coming off the ground like mist and the thin black trees burning on the slopes like stands of heathen candles.” This vivid description can give almost anyone the chills, and each paragraph is written with details such as this. ‘The Road’ is a must read on all accounts.

• Book Jacket: Gemini
    Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it...

P Your O C