Reader reviews and comments on Night, plus links to write your own review.

By Elie Wiesel

• Hardcover: Jan 2006,
    Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Night

Tharun ISB OR (01/29/10)

Night
Many Holocaust survivors still remember their experiences in Concentration camps, with starvation, with no water. Night, by Elizer Wiesel, provides a short and moving account of his experience in Nazi concentration camps during World War II. This book was however not a realistic fiction, but it was a memoir of Wiesel’s memories of the concentration camp. The protagonist and the narrator of the story is Wiesel himself. The main Antagonists of the story are the Nazi. The main setting is in Auschwitz, a Concentration camp in Poland

Night begins in 1941, when Elie is twelve years old, having grown up in a little town called Sighet in Transylvania; in 1944, Germans are already in the town of Sighet and they set up ghettos for the Jews. After a while, the Germans begin the deportation of the Jews to the concentration camp in Auschwitz. Once they arrived in At Birkenau, a place in Auschwitz, Elie separates from his mothers and sisters, and stays with his father. Elie starts to make friends, and tries to survive in the concentration camp. He also starts to make a strong bonding with his father and they start living for each other. After one year of suffering, Elie’s father dies of Dysentery, and Elie is forced to take care of himself. In the end, he looks at himself in the mirror, instead he looks at a “corpse” in the mirror, and he sees how much he has changed the past one year.

When I first saw this book, I picked this because of the author of the book, Elie Wiesel, a famous holocaust survivor. I thought that this story was going to be an ordinary child labor story. But after reading this I was feeling more matured, and I can understand how he missed his childhood. I also felt that I was not one of the unluckiest one to face such a tragedy. Night is not a normal tragedy story, but a Story starts gloomy, and Ends gloomy. But the biggest thing in the end is that, Elie realizes that the youth is no longer in him. He says that he has changed a lot, and sees an adult in him. “From the depths of the mirror, a corpse gazed back at me. The look in his eyes, as they stared into mine, has never left me.” (pg.115, passage 6) Some parts of the book made me feel sorry the Jews who died. The part where he was talking about watching his dad dying was the most piercing, and touching part. “No prayers were said over his tomb. No Candle lit in his memory. His last words had been my name. He had called it out to me but I had not answered. I did not weep, and deep inside me, if I could have searched the recesses of my feeble conscience, I might found something like: Free at last! …” (pg.112, passage 4 and 5) These quotes touched me and made me to go in that story. After reading this book, I asked myself these questions: What if I was in that same situation that Elie Wiesel faced? How would I react to it? On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this book a nine. This book affected me so much, and also made me more religious.

Reviews from the Oprah Winfrey book club: “A true story that we would rather not think about, but need to hear and remember.” I agree with this because I never read such a violent and emotional book than this, but we need to hear and remember these stories so then we don’t do the same mistakes again. “Night is not, however, primarily about making the reader sad or dwelling on the past. It is about remembering. Wiesel wrote his memoir so that we would remember what happened and remember what civilized humans are capable of.” And also this part of the segment says: “Remembering, however, is not a fruitless task. We remember so that we can tackle the big questions honestly and so we can change” This is what happened to me while reading the book. Overall Night is the story of Elie Wiesel, a survivor whose belief of god and humanity died during holocaust.
girlie (09/08/09)

night
Night is an outstanding , full of spirit, and amazing book. Elie Weisel is an incredibly strong person with lots of strength to keep moving on. This book inspires me to get up every morning because life is too short to be sitting around. Go out and use the little time you have to live, wisely!!. I strongly recommend this book. I rate it 11 out of 10.

I LOVE YOU ELIE WEISEL!
Night_Hater (05/06/09)

Terrible Book
I think this book is too complicated to understand. Teachers should not be teaching this book to students because its a hard read and the book is very terrible.
na2 (03/04/09)

good book
This book is really awesome!!!
Elie taught me about life through this book........
Libby Carr (01/20/09)

Night by Elie Wiesel
I thought that Night by Elie Wiesel was a great book. It was short and sweet (well maybe not too sweet) since it is about the Holocaust. Once I started reading it I could not put it down. It kept me on my toes because I did not know what was going to happen next, partly because the families in the memoir also did not know themselves. I had some background on the Holocaust, but not a lot. Even with the little that I do know I was able to follow what Elie was explaining and also learn some new things along the way.

Elie is very straight forward in his style of telling the events that are taking place. He is not going to try to censor it or cover it up because it is a story that the world needs to hear.Night begins with some Jews from Sighet, Transylvania being deported, one being Moishe the Beadle, Elies teacher. Moishe the Beadle was one of the lucky ones who had escaped and returned back to Sighet, but who had also been changed forever. He tried to warn the townspeople of Hitler and the horrors what are taking place. No one believed his stories and they just thought that he had lost his mind. But then it happens, slowly the Gestapo come in and take over the town and then eventually deport the Jews of Sighet. When they finally get to their first destination the words, Men to the left! Women to the right! were shouted by the SS officers. This is the last moment that Elie will ever see his mother and sister. He is forced to become a man at the age of 15.

Night is a memoir about the relationship between a father and son. Their relationship centers on each other. As the days go by their relationship builds and becomes stronger. I could relate to this relationship with my own family. I sort of put myself in his shoes and tried to relate to it. The main theme of the memoir is survival. While most of the prisoners only looked out for themselves, Elie and his father were always looking out for each other. They did whatever it took for them both to survive and with out each other they probably would have given up. Not only did the Nazis take away Elies family and faith, but they also took away his childhood. I could keep telling all about this book, but I want you to read it and feel how it draws you in.
Elizabeth Vanwig (11/29/08)

GREAT
Elie's never dying spirit and courage tugs at your heart and lets you know in your life you can get though anything.
Geoff (02/02/08)

GREAT BOOK
I first read night in 8th grade. I have recently reread the book and rediscovered what a true masterpiece it is. Night is one of the most chilling books I have ever read. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a great book to read. It is one of the BEST books I have read.
Clay Edmondson (01/10/08)

Night
Elie Wiesel is a survivor of the Holocaust, and he retold his experiences in the book Night. This is a story of how the small Jewish country of Sighet, was deported and the Jews were forced to work at labor camps.

The way that Wiesel tells the story of his life made me understand more of what went on during the Holocaust. This book made me think about what it would be like if I had lived during these times and had to try and survive the labor camps.

During his ordeal in the camps and the selections, he made many friends, such as the French girl that he meets at the warehouse. He also meets a young boy by the name of Juliek who plays the violin, but later dies on night in his sleep.

For most of the story Night a father and son use each other to survive. They help each other stay awake , because they say "falling asleep in this cold would kill a man." If these two paople would have been separated right away, they may not have survived as long as they did, because they pushed themselves to survive and stick together.

One of the main themes of the story is the fact that Elie tries to maintain his faith in God, even though all these bad things are going on around them, and happening to them, like Elie and his father being seperated from his mother and sisters.

I think that in the story, Elie was a type of hero for his father. Without Elie his father would have died a lot sooner than he did. At the same time Elie's father was also a hero to his son, because Elie said that once he thought about trowing hiself into a pit of dead bodies. His father told him not to. Another hero in this book is the American Army. The reason that I thought that the American Army was a hero is because they save all those people and they stopped the Nazis from killing more people than they already had killed.

Overall I liked this book and it was a good choice. I would recommend reading this book to anyone that is interested in the Holocaust and the events that occured during this period. If you want to find out what happens to Elie and his family more in depth you need to read the book!!!

The Search