Reader reviews and comments on Sold, plus links to write your own review.

Sold

• Hardcover: Sep 2006,
    Paperback: Apr 2008,

There are currently 43 reader reviews for Sold

kite (04/14/11)

sold
I would like to see more of her life and I like that it goes into the topics that it does. People need to read this book.
Leticia O (04/06/11)

I love this book!
Thank you for writing such a great book. My students and I really enjoyed reading this book. I would highly recommend other educators to integrate this book in their lesson plans or their curriculum.
David T. (04/06/11)

I love this book!
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. It has motivated me to want to read more. This book has helped me become more kind towards other people, especially to those that are in need. I would high recommend this book to others.
Omar I. (04/06/11)

Sold
I love this book because it is based upon a true story and is very inspirational. Reading this book has helped me become a better person. I would highly recommend this book to my friends.
Sitashma Thapa (04/01/11)

WOW
This book to me is a must read one. It is so good, in better words I'd like to say a simple but a very meaningful WOW.
I am from Nepal and I am turning thirteen on the first of May. This book pretty much changed my life for after reading it I started being being very concerned about women trafficking and LAXMI is a girl near my age. This made me much more close to her. Even though she is just a character in a book she was someone close to me for she was also a Nepali.
I got to know about this book from seeing a notice on my school's notice board. I was very amused to know that there was a movie being made out of it and I auditioned along with my companions. I was short-listed and now my fingers are crossed for the results are very near. I do wanna get the role and I hope I do.
I come from the country of the CNN hero, Ms. Anuradha Koirala and even if I don't get the role I will do something against women trafficking. Well, this is for sure..
RoKsTaRr (03/31/11)

absolutely great
I loved this book. Some parts are really sorrowful though.
Louise Jolly (02/21/11)

Wonderful Novel!!
The innocence with which Lakshmi, a 13-year-old girl, is lead into prostitution is truly heartbreaking. Lakshmi lives with her Ama, stepfather, baby brother and her precious goat, Tali in a small village in Nepal. Her days are filled with chores, caring for her cucumbers, her goat and attending school.

Lakshmi’s friend Gita has gone to a big city to work as a maid and is sending her wages home to her family. They now have lights inside at night while Lakshmi’s home is still studded with darkness. Lakshmi hopes to become a maid for a rich family in the city too so she can send her wages to her Ama to buy all the necessities she needs but has never had.

Soon the Monsoon season hits and washes away all the crops Lakshmi’s family had, so it is now time for her to take a job to help support her family. Lakshmi is excited but also worried whether Krishna, the shepherd boy, who she says has: “...sleepy cat eyes...” will wait for her as she has been promised to him in marriage.

Even ensconced in a house of ill repute far away in India, the innocent Lakshmi still believes she is there to be a maid. The prostitutes decked out in their brightly coloured clothing with make-up and bangle bracelets, Lakshmi wonders if she has landed in a house of movie stars! Lakshmi still doesn’t understand that her stepfather has SOLD her into prostitution to re-pay his debts. The atrocities that are visited upon Lakshmi by the men and her house mother are utterly shameful and disturbing. I’ve never felt such compassion and sorrow for a character as sweet and innocent as , Lakshmi.

The story was told in a series of vignettes which is quite different from other writing styles but suits the story and book well. SOLD will now become part of my permanent collection as it’s the type of story that I’ll read again as I won’t ever forget the innocent Lakshmi. I’d love for Ms. McCormick to pen a sequel to find out what happens to Lakshmi later on in life.
em (01/23/11)

Welldone
Nothing bad to say really. It was a wonderful book. Well done.

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

The City
by Dean Koontz

Published Jul. 2014

1.  40Tomlinson Hill:
    Chris Tomlinson

If there is anything more dangerous to the life of the mind than having no independent commitment to ideas...

O O T F P, Into T F