Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

By Markus Zusak

• Hardcover: Mar 2006,
    Paperback: Sep 2007,

There are currently 74 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Haylee (11/29/11)

The book Thief
The very first page had me lost. The book had no point to it, not one. It told me stuff I already knew. It just went on and on.
ILOVEBOOKS (01/27/11)

5 Stars All the Way!
This Book makes you laugh, makes you cry, and introduces you to a new way of thinking. From it's exiting plot to lovable characters...Book Thief all The way!
Michaela Adams-Kalama (01/17/11)

Absolutely Stunning!
This book is a masterpiece, created by the artist himself, Markus Zusak. This novel is impossible to put down once you start reading from the very first page. It's a mind-blowing story told from Death's point of view that makes you think about your own life, and it WILL make an impact in your life.
I highly recommend it to everyone, even those who don't read. It's a must read.
Marie (01/04/11)

The Book Thief
This book was just amazingly good. When I received it as a gift I didn't think much of it and put it off for a while. But one day I finally picked it up and couldn't put it down. This book literally made and laugh out loud and bawl my eyes out, and I am not just saying that. Everyone should read this book!!
MUSICofFAITH (01/03/11)

Wonderful!
Markus is an outstanding author for many reasons. He uses foreshadowing to the point where he often blatantly reveals what is going to happen in the book, much to the irritation of some readers. However, this technique makes the reader focus on the character development as they approach these already known events. As a busy 17-year-old, I hardly have time to read anymore. This book, however, was worth the time out of my schedule. I've emerged with a new perspective on WWII, new techniques to use in my own writing, and with an improved philosophy of humanity. Highly recommended.
Georgia (12/19/10)

eh...
I have to read this book for a book club that im in. I don't like it at all because of all the curse words and German used in Markus Zusak's writing. it is hard for me to understand. other then that the concept is very good and it is an enjoyable book. however the previously listed dislikes rate very high on my scale and are why I reviewed this book with only a 2.
Erica (09/07/10)

The Book Thief 5 Stars
The Book Thief was an astounding book! I am 13 and have read this book twice. The first was assigned, but I loved it so much I had to read it again and I am planning on reading it a 3rd time! It never gets old! You may be older and thinking, "If a young person likes this, I must not!" but I'll have you know I am an advanced reader and do believe that it fits anyone's compatibility of 13 years. The book was enlightening and has some suspense. It's sad at times but otherwise an intriguing read. I LOVED The Book Thief and hope to read it a 3rd time!
Elizabeth (07/13/10)

Heartwrenching
What a great book even with all the heartache and pain of the characters....the characters are unforgettable....I didn't want the book to end......the idea of death being narrator was quite unique.

I can't believe this is a YA book, though....I think it is pretty intense.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist