Reader reviews and comments on Son of a Witch, plus links to write your own review.

Son of a Witch

By Gregory Maguire

Son of a Witch

• Hardcover: Sep 2005,
    Paperback: Oct 2006,

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Son of a Witch

Janey (08/12/10)

Worth a read if you've read Wicked
I felt compelled to finish this book having enjoyed Wicked so much. Unfortunately the author seems more intent on getting across to the reader a lot of underlining meaning, emotion and politics which will go over the average readers head (as it did mine) rather than developing a relationship with the characters tale. I also had a lot of unanswered questions at the end about what seemed to be Liir's main objective throughout the story. However, if you're a Wicked fan give it a read anyway.
Kimberlee (01/24/09)

ehhhh
I enjoyed the book at first because it picked up exactly where it left off, but as I read on I started to become disappointed. I noticed that the pages were getting fewer and there wasn't much that was resolved. I was completely confused at the end and have no idea what happened to Candle (Why did she leave her baby and Liir?) and the rest of the inhabitants on the farm. It was almost like the author got tired of writing and just ended it. Hopefully everything will be resolved in the third edition....
Toni (08/14/07)

Did I just waste several days of my life?
Yes, I sure did. I had read Wicked and thought it was a fun, quick, interesting and original book to read. Son of a Witch on the other hand fell flat. I was expecting some climatic plot revelations but got nothing. There were no interesting story lines. Didn't really care too much about Liir either way good nor bad. Thought the story line of Nastoya could have been much more exciting. And the end of the book well that was just plain boring and I too was left a bit irritated. There doesn't need to be resolution but please at least make it interesting. Everything just fell flat in this book. If you are reading this do not waste your money.
Travis (03/16/07)

What on earth happened?
I have to confess, I didn't love Wicked but I at least thought it was clever. Son of a Witch however, wow - just useless. It was like Maguire didn't even know what it was about. There were several throw away conflicts that were not the least bit engaging and characters that he put no time into at all. I doubt he cares however, since everyone that loved Wicked went out and bought the book. This was just a cash out and the reader feels it from page one.
Natasha (11/16/06)

No Son of Mine
I eagerly awaited this book. I read it as soon as it came out and I am still bitter for lack of a better word for spending my money on this book.

As I was reading I felt disappointed but tried to push through it and give the author the benefit. I thought the story would pick up, become engaging, I thought I would start to care for the characters or miss the land of Oz when the book was over. None of these things happened, in fact I couldn't exit Oz fast enough.

I was disappointed because the land of Oz was foreign and harsh and the characters unlikeable and uninspiring. Maybe if this book came out with no link to Wicked I would have better appreciated it but Liir had none of Alphaba's character or charisma.
Captain (11/13/06)

Beyond Disappointed!
Words can barely describe my disappointment and frustration at Son of a Witch. I've read and enjoyed many of Mr. Maquire's other work, but I can't help but wonder if in his haste to capitalize on the phenomenal success of Wicked, he failed to come up with a decent idea or sympathetic character to keep his readership interested. The dark themes and political murkiness of Oz continue, but that is where the similarity to Wicked ends. There is no reason given for the follies of Oz, and there is certainly no reason to follow the futile exploits (if one can call them that) of the thoroughly unlikable protagonist. This is a novel about a non-person living a non-life of non-discovery, non-ambition, and non-compassion. I was left feeling empty and even a bit angry at the end of this book, and would dearly love the hours of my life that were wasted in reading it given back!

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

Tomlinson Hill
by Chris Tomlinson

Published Jul. 2014

1.  150The City:
    Dean Koontz

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

O O T F P, Into T F