Reader reviews and comments on The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

By Elizabeth Kostova

• Hardcover: Jun 2005,
    Paperback: Oct 2006,

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Historian

Elizabeth (01/27/06)

"The Historian" contains elements from many of my favorite genres - thriller, suspense, mystery, and historical fiction. I thought this book was entertaining to read and liked the story concept and character development. The one flaw of the book was the boring page after page eye sleepy write up that seemed like academic research. This happened around pages 300-450. But after you got past that, I thought it was an interesting read with a solid ending. The ending may have been a bit Hollywood, but good nonetheless.
Alyvia (01/26/06)

Brilliant book
This book is one of the most entertaining I have read in quite a long time. Kostova's descriptions are fantastic, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Very well researched, entertaining, and, hey, who doesn't love a good Dracula book?
lala (12/13/05)

The Historian
It was a good book, not a great book. The descriptions of the scenery and the "people, places and things" were beautifully done, I almost could feel the air and smell the aromas, but the actual story seemed....I don't know...boring. I expected so much more, I guess, and I felt it the writer went on and on and didn't really come up with anything new or interesting about Dracula.
I enjoyed the premise of the story but I felt it just plodded on and on.
Fred (12/02/05)

A Book That's Meant To Be Read
Brilliant work! This is as good a modern work of fiction as I have read in the last 50 years. If you prefer books tuned to the 21st century's attention span of 10 minutes that you can read while watching TV, commuting or while sunning on the beach - stay away from this book. If, on the other hand, you read to become engrossed in a well told story and matvel at the craftsmanship of a fine writer, buy it now!! This book is a joy to be savored.
Sidney (12/02/05)

This Book Totally Rocked
This book was so awesome! It keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Vance (11/10/05)

More is almost never better!
This is yet another example of a book that was hyped beyond all reasonable measure in the media. While the writing is certainly competent, apparently no one had the guts to tell her, "Hey, this might be a good read if it WERE HALF AS LONG!" Seriously, I just read John Irving's "Until I find You," and, at 827-pages, it seemed like a short story compared to this bloated imitation of an Ann Rice novel.
Ryan (11/10/05)

A middling interlude with a Vampire
The concept was intriguing and thought of a supernatural thriller in the mold of the Da Vinci code was hard to resist. Unfortunately "The Historian" never quite delivers. Kostova's research for the book is excellent, but at times it feels she has the rules of her world forced upon her by Bram Stoker and she is merely writing to fit that outline. Her language is sumptuous, but again I felt it was forced instead of lyrical and descriptive. "The Historian" ends up being a lovely travel guide and text book with a story about vampires around the edges. A good first novel, but nothing that I reccomend. Anyone looking for a tense thriller will be somewhat dissapointed. If you are curious about the life of Vlad Tepes and his connection with the vampire myth, than this is a wonderful library book to pick up.
Timmy O (10/20/05)

Didn't quite meet my expectations
I decided to read this book after seeing the author and book featured on a recent episode of ABC's "20/20." The pace is fairly slow and kept my interest just enough for me to keep going. I didn't like or dislike it - I rate it a "push." I liked the author's writing style; content was somewhat lacking. The story had untapped potential. I was hoping for more.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove