Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

By Jeannette Walls

• Hardcover: Mar 2005,
    Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 170 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Britvix (02/07/09)

810
Before I start I should inform you that I am not one for reading books quickly. I have a hard time getting into plots and it usually takes me about a month to finish a book. However, after hearing great things about The Glass Castle, I thought that I would have it read within a few days. Unfortunately, it has been sitting on my bedside table for nearly a month with about 6 pages being read at a time.
Now, this isn't to say that it isn't a good book - because it is. It is a great portrayal of real life and it shows the complexities of families. The reader ends up liking each of the characters for their own strengths and weaknesses, even though the life choices that they make are different from what I have ever experienced or from what i would ever put my own kids through.
This being said, what lacked for me was movement. I think that the beginning was great and the end was great but the middle seemed slow. I wish more would have been spent on the experiences Jeannette had in New York.
Overall, if you want a decent read, I would read The Glass Castle.
marilyn kruse (02/01/09)

new insight
I admit I read books basically to see how characters or people endure or adapt in this world. And what I've found is that most of us can survive much tougher odds than we thought we could, much more pain and discomfort. And I laugh at myself and all the middle class parents breaking their necks to give their kids everything. These kids suffered tremendously, it was obvious. Yet they were given many gifts along the way, and developed the greatest resourcefulness as a result.And my husband's and my own experience working in jobs we hated to pay the mortgage makes me understand the parents' choices a little better. What, really, did we give our kids but material comforts and unhappy parents.
bookreader (01/26/09)

The Glass Castle
This was one of the best books that I have ever read. It was hard to put down once I started reading it. I work in social services and it gave me a whole new outlook on life, and the patients that I deal with.
Holly (01/21/09)

Easy read, inspiring story of overcoming adversity
I was amazed at the level of details the author had from her childhood and how she gave us just enough without going overboard on her descriptions of she and her siblings neglectful upbringing. You will pull for them to escape yet laugh with them as they make the best of their situation and teach us all a lesson in honoring our parents. Excellent read.
Kathy (01/18/09)

Glass Castle
Just finished Glass Castle, it was entertaining, funny and horrifying all at the same time. A page turner, could not put it down. I am surprised that the author cut her parents as much slack as she did but I guess it is true that blood is thicker than water. It demonstrates that one does not have to be a product of their environment. Clearly her parents were brilliant people, but there is a fine line between brilliance and insanity and this book proves it.
consuelo parker (01/17/09)

Can't buy it.
I just finished The Glass Castle. It was very interesting but not believable. Having grown up among alcoholics, some of them quite intelligent, I recognize some of the book as believable but there is much in it that doesn't jibe. Parents who do not supply their four children with food and heat and beds do not supply their three daughters with feminine hygiene products. I speak from experience. I am surprised Ms. Walls' siblings have not exposed her deception to others. I am waiting for the truth to come out.
Shalunda (01/14/09)

The PaperBox
The one book review makes very good points on the fact that no one can possibly remember the entire conversation from when they were younger. Also some of the parts were too far out to even believe. This book too me is a pretty good story, but that is all it is. It is a story not a biography. Its story like many of defying some pretty tough odds.
llemono (12/24/08)

A Great Book
This book made me laugh, made me angry and made me sad. Incredible life she had to live. I would recommend this to all.

Mrs. Hemingway