Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 170 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Emily (03/02/10)

GREAT BOOK
This book is very detailed and remarkable.
sharonite (01/31/10)

makes you think
This book is special. It is showing a world that many are not familiar with, a first hand account of what it is really like to live and grow as "white trash". One of the things that emerge is that there is no black and white - as the mother says, no one is completely evil and that much of what happens is one's own decision and will.
The parents, who are horrible most of the time, have some qualities that are admirable. The star giving story, when the father sits down with each child and lets them chose their own star- is parenting at its best. The scene of everyone reading together with the dictionary in the middle, is a great family moment. And it is clear, that even after all the horribly, irresponsible, selfish things that the parents do, the kids still love them.
The truth is that the kids took care of each other, and the one child that fell through the cracks is Maureen, the one that lived out of the house, in friends houses, probably in better environment but without the family support.
It made me think about poverty and types of poverty, and what society can or cannot do. I would highly recommend it to young people/teenagers. I think it brings home the notion of adventure/responsibility and outcome.
WI Book Club Girl (01/13/10)

Disappointed
I was disappointed that this book did not seem to go beyond the point that some kids have incredibly rough childhoods and some actually can end up rising above it. Common theme, written admirably and notably by many well known, and highly esteemed authors - of which category I would not include this author. Like other reviewers, I question the embellishment of this author's tale and fail to the see the literary value or intimacy in her writing of it.
Student (01/06/10)

Confusing
This book is very confusing and have to write a page about 40 pages in the book each night.
lorena ruvalcaba (12/05/09)

the glass castle
The Glass Castle is an eye opener. It helps you realize that we have so many things in life that we don't appreciate. If you look around you there are so many objects that we do not realize that are actually there. Or maybe we do realize they are there but do not appreciate them. In this book Jeanette tells her life story & what she had through live through. Most of us had it easy as children but her life story is completely different. I am proud to say this book opened my eyes and helps me appreciate life and everything that surrounds me. I would like to thank Jeanette for writing this book, and I hope that The Glass Gastle opened your eyes as much as it did for me. I give this book 5 stars
meagan (11/09/09)

The Good and Bad
I found myself constantly wanting to read more during The Glass Castle. It was interesting and definitely kept my attention the entire time. But at the end, I was forced to ask myself the question, "Was I only reading because I wanted something good to happen?"
The entire book you'll find yourself wanting something good to happen to the kids. You just have to wait through all the bad stuff ad finally at the end, you see that something good does come out of the story.
Even when something good happens to the kids, (like saving up money for a trip to New York), you can just anticipate that something terrible is going to happen; like the father taking their money.
It's a very sad book, probably not for the soft hearted. But in the end, you'll feel very inspired and feel grateful for the life you have, no matter the circumstances.
jeane (11/03/09)

Couldn't put down
I thought this book was an excellent read. I have worked with abused ,neglected children,who still love their parents & will defend them. I am disappointed by the readers who don't believe parts of this story. Have you ever been to a "holler" in W Va or Ky? She painted an accurate picture & ,sadly I found it to be very believable. Good for her!
KP (10/18/09)

Give me a BREAK!
I'm sorry, but there is NO way this book is a memoir! I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and am only finishing it because I'm so far into it. The stories, while vivid and incredible are too insane to believe. Making her own braces? C'mom!

I think the thing that makes it difficult for me to believe is the fact that any of those children are SANE! And she is a wealthy writer. The kind of abuse/neglect she supposedly endured is the very thing that serial killers are made from.

I look for someone to expose this as an embellishment (like A Million Little Pieces). It is just too hard to believe!

The Search