Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 170 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

George (06/15/10)

Guess speaker
Jeannette was the quest speaker at the Milton Hershey School graduation on June 12, 2010. She was interesting and funny at first, then she started to go on and on. The parents and students were starting to fall asleep, and someone called out," Come on". She paused for a second and continued, then the audience started to clap every few minutes. She didn't get the hint, finally the whole graduating class stood and clapped till she stop talking and sat down. She is so brain dead, she still doesn't realize, everyone wanted her to stop talking. Lesson for the lady. A speech has a interesting beginning, a thoughtful ending, and a short space in between. The book is just another look how good I am, been done before.
Cristie (05/28/10)

Ive never been moved like this!
When I first was introduced to this book, to be honest I was just bored at work and needed something to read, The very first page I was sucked in, I never have cried, laughed, was angry and bitter everything I felt Jeannette and her siblings should have felt, Jeannette was always so strong and a leader and I was so proud of her success. I would recommend this book to everyone
amina. (05/27/10)

the glass castle
I had the option of reading this book for my English class for and independent novel study and I am so glad that I chose it because it is amazing! You forget that you are actually reading a book about someone's life. It is absolutely memorizing and breath taking-ly captivating. I simply loved it and could not put it down ! I would recommend this book to anyone in a heart beat.
JaneN (05/23/10)

What a life
With parents like Jeannette had, it's a wonder that she, and her siblings, survived. Her parents, one one side, are feckless, self absorbed, mean-spirited, and on the other hand hopeless romantics ! The amazing part is that she turned out as successful, both personally and professionally , as she did. This book made me think about the human spirit's resiliency. It also made me think about how children either stay whole or fracture apart. A good book, well written, and one that will be discussed for years to come.
Judy Ghoneim (05/20/10)

With Parents Like These......
Jeannette Walls is a really strong woman (as are her siblings) to have survived her childhood. Though never physically abusive, her parents as revealed in her memoir, were totally feckless people who should not have been allowed to have children. Though her father was a highly intelligent man, he was always blaming someone else for his continuing failures, was a foul mouthed alcoholic who never understood himself nor his children. Her mother lived in a fantasy world with delusions of talent and was, with her husband, convinced of the conspiracy of government and all authority, who admired her own so-called values. And yet Jeannette, her sister and brother managed to break free of their family, leave West Virginia, and make good lives for themselves. They also tried to help their parents, to no avail.
Walls writes cleanly and forcefully, without self-pity, about a horrendous childhood, essentially raising herself, to become a talented, focused writer. I found the book compelling reading and was left in awe by the persistence of Jeannette, Lori and Brian. I would recommend it highly for anyone over the age of 12.
Hanna Carol, author of A Box of Chocolates-Thoughts on Parenting (05/01/10)

An Honest Story
I found strength and a way to look everything in a very different perspective as I was reading this book. So blessed by the writer's honesty.
Jena (03/28/10)

I loved it
I just read this book and it was very very good. I just couldn't believe that after a childhood like this Jeannette could become so successful.
kuddy_patt14 (03/25/10)

an amazing journey
It is almost impossible that a person with a childhood as yours could had the guts to see from the top of the problems... I'm impressed and ashamed for complaining about things that are not even comparable to what you lived. From the beginning to the end it captured my attention the way you see things from the perspective of the positive side, never letting go your spirit and hoping... always hoping.
I personally passed something similar with my family and it is a hard thing to go through but...well done Jenny this is an achievement personal and professional that deserves the recognition of the world.... keep writing. By the way Brian is such a grown up from the beginning that I respect him even more.

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove