Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

By Jeannette Walls

• Hardcover: Mar 2005,
    Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 170 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

jane moates (10/23/10)

mindblowing
Her ability to put a story to descriptive word is amazing. Having a similar desperation upbringing and picking myself up by the bootstraps I can relate all ways. I could not put this book down, Pay close attention to the moronic details of how her life could have been. Riveting.
Ryan (10/13/10)

Awesome
I read this book twice now and I loved it, I love how she just says it like it is, I only wish she would make a movie out of it to go with the book.
Barbara Roberts (09/26/10)

A gentle persuasion
Wall's book shocked me; most of us may have chosen to keep such a shabby upbringing a secret, if we felt embarrassed or shamed by a parent's abysmal skills. I put myself in her place and confess a deeply held reluctance to shame a parent by such an honest disclosure. But different strokes. Walls has not only provided us a compelling story of resilient, tough, gutsy kids thriving IN SPITE OF haphazard parenting, she has also given us sharply drawn characterizations of a man and woman unsuited to parenting who transcend logic and produce this talented, grounded child grown into a delightful and successful artist. It makes me think of the innate 'wisdom' of so-called dumb animals. It also makes me think there is a divine planner making divine plans for each of us.
Kountz (09/02/10)

I Share this castle
I just finished reading this book and I can tell you that its a great story. Beautiful descriptions of events and people. I identify with this story a lot and recommend this book to my son who is 13 and so far he likes it and has a hard time putting it down.
Bruce L. Beck (09/01/10)

The Glass Castle
Ms Walls is a wonderful writer. Her descriptions of things and people are wonderful. This is the best book I have read all year... I found it interesting that she refers to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in that she has a similar writing style. I hope that it is made into a movie---a "Sundance" type of movie that is true to the book
LOREDA (07/23/10)

Good honest reading
Many of us do not realize that people live like that.
It proves any of us can pull our selves up from any condition. A wonderful book.
Monica Coronado (07/07/10)

THE GLASS CASTLE
WOW is all i can really say about this book. Everything about it was amazing, although her life was rough she made it through and i love her for that. She is clearly wonderful and i can relate to her in some of her situations.
hey123 (06/24/10)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle is the story of the authors childhood. She includes details about the whole family. The parents Rex and Rosemary both have many problems. The dad is an alcoholic and the mom doesn't seem like she is all there. The family goes through very difficult times. The kids have to take care of themselves and seem to be what holds the family together. It was a very good book which I looked forward to reading every time I picked it up. Recommend it to everyone.

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove