Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

By Jeannette Walls

• Hardcover: Mar 2005,
    Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 172 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Emma (03/18/11)

The Glass Castle Review
I started reading the book " The Glass Castle " yesterday it is amazing(even though I am only on page 36) .My favorite part( so far ) is Jeannette's first memory when she is making her self so hat dogs ( i cant believe her mother let her boil hotdogs on her own) I think everyone should read it - it's that good.
Lisa B (03/17/11)

Unbelievably familiar
As I was reading this book I could not help but think how very similar her childhood feelings were to mine...I could have written this book about my childhood...well written
lexi high (02/11/11)

bret harte high school student reader
This book is a very touching story of a true life of a young girl and I am sorry that she had to live this life but at the same time its good that she did because it made her the very special and intellectual person she is today and also the very hurt person who wrote this sad touching story.... this author deserves a standing ovation from a group of 1,000,000,00
Haley (01/27/11)

The Glass Castle By: Jeannette Walls
Jeannette Walls book The Glass Castle was for me the hardest book to get through because I feel for her. It is hard to get control my emotions as she talks about some of her horrible experiences, but it is the easiest memoir to get through because also so well written. There is enough context, background information, to really understand the events of the story. I can truly envision the story

There is not any unnecessary information throughout the book; Jeannette only talks about either life-threatening situations, life changing situations, or important information that effects her in the future. But you can not truly understand how all of these events are important to her and why she writes about specific moments until you reach the end and put the puzzle pieces together.

In the memoir I am currently writing about myself Jeannette Walls had truly inspired me to write in a way that grabs the readers attention as well as she did in hers. So I thank Jeannette Walls and her effective writing style which has inspired me to create my own so effectively, therefore I highly recommend this book to all.
[Editor's note: abbreviated]
Shawty (01/13/11)

The Glass Castle
When I finally finished reading this book, I noticed how much it touched me. It was an amazing story !! :)
Somekid (12/13/10)

Moving
I felt so much at home reading this book. To date, it is the only story I have ever read that made me cry at the end.
sandra (12/02/10)

glass castle
I just finished this book and I could not put it down. It is a must read for anyone who needs encouragement to go on. I loved it!
Jessica K (11/29/10)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls was an unbelievably heartfelt novel that people of all ages can relate to. Jeannette Walls tells the true story of her turbulent life. The book begins at the age of three, where she is living with her family in a trailer in Arizona. After cooking hot dogs by her self one afternoon she becomes hospitalized for severe burns. Shortly after that her father, Rex walls, shows up and tells her they are going to do the old ske daddle. They just leave the hospital without a moments notice and from then on her life is a blur from one city to the next. Las Vegas, San Francisco, and many other small desert cities. Her mother is a free spirited woman who lives through her paintings. The oldest child is Lori, smart and determined. The second being Jeannette, always the hard worker. The third is Brian, adventurous and in love with the outer realms of the Earth. The youngest sister is Maureen, some what detached and far from the rest of the family. Throughout Jeannette's childhood her father tells them stories of the Glass Castle in which he is going to one day build. This infamous castle is to be their future home. However tall his tales are it is without a doubt that the family is tightly woven together through the things that set them apart from everyone else. This is a true story of a family struggling to survive. Whether it be food in their bellies or a steady job for their father. Its compassionate, bitter, sad, elevating and even horribly surprising. This story of love and terror will stick with you until well after the last page is turned. It is a book to be remembered and to be reflected upon. Something so delicate its readers will not know whether to shed a tear or a smile.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist