Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 170 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Jomary (10/27/11)

A must read
One of the best non fiction books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down once I started it.
alyssa (10/04/11)

book review.....amazing
aweooommmeeeetastic!!!!!!
Julie Sausville (10/02/11)

Wonderful first time author
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish and many of my friends also loved it we have shared and discussed and laughed and couldn't wait to read her second novel Half Broke Horses, about her grandmother's life also a wonderful read I give Wall 2 thumbs up and cant wait for her to write a third :)
Barbara (09/18/11)

Reality of memory
I am amazed that there is such doubt about the memories of a three year old. Simple research reveals that early memories are tied to trauma and remain vivid throughout a lifetime. Repeated trauma, as seen at the hands of this author, link early memories to each other. Walls writes her memoir at a level that permits her free range to examine and write this memories with near complete recall. My own traumas allow me to know that. My husband has almost no recall of his earliest years, but also experienced no trauma in a warm and loving family. Walls remembers things that hurt. And lots of things hurt her. She lived an outrageous childhood. My disappointment comes with the recognition that, while she tells a great story and tells it well, I have no sense of her own emotional response to what she reports so well. My own brother was a student at Milton J Hershey, and I lived at an orphanage. When kids from MJH deride her talk there one needs to pay attention. No one there is free from childhood trauma. In the end it is about degree and triumph.doubting Walls' story is ridiculous. It's her story, however outrageous. You doubt so much happened to her? That might indicate a complete separation from what is, for some of us, the real world.
Judy (05/17/11)

Jeannette Walls: The Glass Castle
I haven't picked up a book to read for years. I started reading the Glass Castle and I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until wee hours of the night just to see what their next adventure would be. I can't believe some of the things that Jeannette's parents allowed them to do but on the other hand she grew up to be a very strong independent woman.

I loved this book and look forward to reading more of Jeannette Walls books.
Dorothy (03/18/11)

Love it ;)
This book is worth reading. Now my daughter is reading and she can't put it away :)
Emma (03/18/11)

The Glass Castle Review
I started reading the book " The Glass Castle " yesterday it is amazing(even though I am only on page 36) .My favorite part( so far ) is Jeannette's first memory when she is making her self so hat dogs ( i cant believe her mother let her boil hotdogs on her own) I think everyone should read it - it's that good.
Lisa B (03/17/11)

Unbelievably familiar
As I was reading this book I could not help but think how very similar her childhood feelings were to mine...I could have written this book about my childhood...well written

Mrs. Hemingway