Reader reviews and comments on How I Live Now, plus links to write your own review.

By Meg Rosoff

• Hardcover: Aug 2004,
    Paperback: Jul 2005,

There are currently 54 reader reviews for How I Live Now

Kate, 15 (06/22/05)

How I Live Now
How i live now is a powerful book with issues that people, especially teenagers are presented with today. The way Meg Rosoff wrote the relationship between the cousins Edmond and Daisy was vague in a sense but that kept if more private....[edited to remove plot spoiler]... one of my favourite books.
Josie (02/01/05)

I agree with the critics that this book is powerful and that the voice is unique, compelling, and consistent. The plot is mesmerizing and like other readers, I could not put it down. My one objection is to the absence of standard punctuation. I realize that the author wanted to present the story as people actually think and/or speak, however, given the loss of so many values and standards in our society, (such as, instead of being a nation that builds/creates quality products, we have become a nation of consumers) I fear that this style of writing will undermine one of the few things still intact, our language. Punctuation was created to enhance communication. To abandon it even in part could become a trend which publishers may come to view as "hot" and therefore salable, thus untimately weakening our abilities to communicate. Mankind did not begin with fully developed languages, but rather with sticks and stones. Think how long it took to develop our beautiful and functional English language. Can we afford to destroy it with trendy writing styles just to make a buck?
whoizzit (01/09/05)

This is one of the most powerful books I have read in a very long time. Ms. Rosoff had me on the first page and I could barely stand to put it down. It's been several days since I finished the book, and the characters are still in my head. They are just that unforgettable. This is a book I will add to my collection and recommend to EVERYONE. The writing is masterful, the story is unique, the main characters are endearing, and in the course of just a few pages the reader experiences a range of emotions from laughter to horror to sadness and back again. I look forward with great anticipation to more novels from Meg Rosoff.
Anonymous (01/05/05)

A fantastic, funny, gripping and achingly beautiful book. Daisy is a fanastic, believable character who narrates with wit and truth, and who takes us through this amazing journey with clarity.
I recommend this book to anyone, as its not something I would normally choose but I loved every second of it and only wished it could go on longer and longer!
A brilliant first book form Meg Rosoff and a great read for anyone.
Read it today!
emily (14) (12/30/04)

How I live now is a brilliant book! It gripped me instantly! I love the way that the story is retold from the perspective of Daisy herself and I love the way that all the detail put into the book pulls you further in and makes you feel almost as if you yourself are Daisy and it is you experiencing these obstacles. I almost felt as if i was under some kind of spell!
Saphir S-F (11/25/04)

This is the BEST book i've ever read i recomend it to anyone. Where i live it was a hit seller and everyone wasreading it!

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove