Reader reviews and comments on Under the Banner of Heaven, plus links to write your own review.

Under the Banner of Heaven

A Story of Violent Faith

By Jon Krakauer

Under the Banner of Heaven

• Hardcover: Jul 2003,
    Paperback: Jun 2004,

There are currently 45 reader reviews for Under the Banner of Heaven

Teresa (10/11/04)

This book help me to understand. what could happen and things like this really do happen. Thanks for the support . Teresa
thatoneguy (10/06/04)

I have always been skeptical of my neighbors, who are mormons, but still good people. And I always saw something a little funny about what they believed in and after reading this book it showed me that there is good reason to be skeptical. In fact I had to read the book twice to grasp the moral and ethical emplacations of this wonderous book that I am graced to have read. I would deffenately reccomend this to anyone who has ever had any intrest in history of contemporary issues.
mormoninmissouri (09/18/04)

I found this book to be extremely insightful and informative. Having been raised devoutly mormon in Missouri, I was often told of how blessed I was to be born into the same state to which the Garden of Eden (Adam-ondi-Ahmen, supposedly in Jackson, MO) belonged. I suggest that every Mormon, even thoughs who feel they strongly believe in their faith, to read this book and to be open to the facts. This book forced me to research many issues I had always been uncomfortable with, and to see from an outside perspective how damaging these zealous views can be.
mdrn (09/07/04)

I could not put the book down. I have always known that the LDS church was "a little off" but this book opened my eyes about the true religion. No where can you find information about the church that spells out the truth. It is mind boggling to think that a religious group can be so calculating and so callous to it fellow man. I was skeptical about those who are LDS, but now I am truely "freaked out" by them. Any religon is a cult as far as I'm concerned and this book enforced that fact.
Doug Green (08/07/04)

As a native Utahan and former Mormon, I found Under the Banner of Heaven to be completely engrossing. I come from "pioneer stock" as my great-great grandparents on both sides emigrated from Europe directly to Utah in the early 1850's. As a young Mormon, I was filled with many stories about my forefathers and their beliefs as well as the beliefs of LDS Church. When I reached the age of reason, my parents and I and my siblings broke from the Church (Church in Utah means only one thing and is always capitalized!) and we returned to the faith of my great-great-great grandparents.

As children, we were shielded from the "darker side" of our Church's history - never hearing about the Mountain Meadows Massacre. In reading Under the Banner of Heaven many of my childhood questions have finally been answered and I have a better understanding why life in Utah is as it is.

I guess this means God will not give me my own world to rule after I die!

I throughly recommend Under the Banner of Heaven to all open-minded readers - LDS and "Gentile" alike.
jane doe (08/05/04)

Brilliant! Couldn't put it down. Jon Krakauer has truly done his homework. This is no run-of-the-mill murder mystery, but an insightful account into the secret motives, lies, and beliefs that are believed and cherished by millions of Americans. Krakauer powerfully demonstrates how the line between faith and fanaticism is so diaphanous that one can traverse it without ever intending.
Bud (08/03/04)

I am a "gentile" living in Southern Utah. The accounts and facts that Mr. Krakauer has brought into the light of day have needed airing for a long time. I can attest to his accuracy. I am amazed that the government of the United States allows the state of Utah to operate as it does.
Doug (07/29/04)

Unfortunately, Krakauer has missed an opportunity to tell an intruiging story. Being a weekend climber, I read with great anticipation Into Thin Air and was amazed at the story that he told. So amazed, in fact, that I read every other written account I could get my hands on. It was then I noticed the incredible distortion of facts about that terrible incident, and assumed this distortion could, at least in part, be attributed to the guilt of surviving such an ordeal, especially considering the fact that he was originally "scheduled" to climb with Fisher, and bailed for Hall's team at the last minute. One example of his obliteration of fact is his portrayal that the dying field on Everest was a mix of the teams. In fact, Scott Fisher was the ONLY person from his team that died, and all other fatalities were from Hall's group. Interesting that Krakauer blamed Anatoli (assistant on Fisher's team) for not using oxygen on the climb, yet Anatoli was the only person who actually saved any lives at all.

Unless Krakauer is hiding the fact that he was/is an "angry Mormon in hiding", I am forced to realize that he is not about painting events with gripping honesty and integrity, but rather he is about capitalizing on terrible situations and using them to spin agendas. While it may be true that these people were mormons or some fractal group thereof, the real story isn't about any particular religion or religion in general, but about the mental workings of some truly sick people. Unfortunately, he uses the situation to further his personal beliefs, of which he's entitled and of which I'm totally uninterested. Hopefully, like the situation on Everest, there will be many other accounts written that will provide better insight into the cause of such a terrible event.

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

The City
by Dean Koontz

Published Jul. 2014

1.  27Tomlinson Hill:
    Chris Tomlinson

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

O O T F P, Into T F