Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

By Christopher Paolini

• Hardcover: Aug 2003,
    Paperback: Apr 2005,

There are currently 296 reader reviews for Eragon

Kate (01/16/06)

The Best book ever!
i'm all into the Harry potter books, and when my friend recomended Eragon i knew it was going to be good. It wasn't good it was...GREAT!
Julian (01/12/06)

Eragon
I remember when i saw this book in the scholastic ahahaha...i had a feeling it was going to be a good book. And when i recieved my book i wasnt disapointed. this book has such a good storyline and now the and book Eldest is out i hope the 3rd bok is coming out soon. So excited that ERAGON THE MOVIE is coming out in december. Hope the movie makers dont make this book look bad or else their gonna be hearing something from the fans =D
Ember (01/11/06)

Common Themes
Every new artist: painter, composer, author ect. takes themes and ideas from other works that they like and are familiar with until they can find their own style and voice. Paolini is no exception. Even Patricia McKillip who some say is one of the best fantasy writers of our time borrowed ideas from LOTR in her Riddle Master trilogy. I think for writing Eragon at 15, Paolini did an excellent job and I'm sure that this is just his first step in becomming a great author.
SaRa (01/01/06)

Maybe
I have to addmit the first time that I tried to read the book, I coudn't. I wasn't able to get past the first 20 pages! But i was then forced to read for school and i loved it! I relized how it wassemilar in to Lord of the rings but it wasstilla good read. And to everyone that is spitting on it for it's "copying" maybe you should read Eldest. Before you say things make sure you got your facts right.
Tom (12/31/05)

Eragon
Eragon and Eldest are two good books, even though everyone may say they are copied, stolen, etc. I do like this series very much but did find it similar to other books. As for people saying it's good for being written by a fifteen year old; in an honest review the age of the author should not affect your rating. You are rating the book, not that author.

I did find the lack of character descriptions annoying but my first time through I did not notice it missing at first. I did however find I was being led on to read the book and was a fun past time for me and in my opinion worth a read.

Also please do not say the name Eragon came from the LotR name Aragorn, Eragon is dragon with an e in the place of a d. He also found this name on kabalarians.com I know as a fact so no it was not stolen.

The book can be good if you allow yourself to like it. If you get caught up in criticims and comparing to other books, you subconiously start looking for them throughout the book.

As for using elves, dwarves, humans, and dragons he could have made up his own race to make it have a little more original feel. The Ra'zac are a unique race in the book but since there are only two of them they are overlooked.

Yes shade the name may have been taking from warcraft but the physical appearance is nothing alike.

Overall the book does have some lack of originality but once you have become involved and are really into the story it makes for an exiting read.

-Thanks
Magan Fowler (12/28/05)

What the heck 2
Ok, this is the second time that i have written my review and you can see that it is a .1. I don't know why ppl like this book sooo much it as good as that. i got the idea from a guy that has the same interest in books as me but i think in this book our ideas of GOOD is really far feched. i couldn't stand reaing that book it mad me so mad because everything dragged on the war the escapes everything. I think this is a complete copy of the LOTR,H.P and all the other books. i really think that this guy is going to get sued so enough it is an insult that he would name it Eargo, from the title would that explain that there is somthing fishy about this book come on.?When i was reading i actually skipped pgs becuase i new exactally what was going to happen. i don't mean to be mean to the author, bet i think he really need to right a book that isn't conected to LOTR,H.P, and NARNIA. especially not connected to LOTR!!!!!!
Jacqueline (12/08/05)

Lukewarm
I made it through the whole book and found it interesting. I think it's overrated, though. I won't analyze every little resemblance, but still...it doesn't quite fit the description of what I'd call a masterpiece.

Two words---character development. I felt no emotion when the characters died or were injured or anything like that. Why should I? They didn't seem very realistic.

And, being the first book and a trilogy, the plot should unwind at a slower pace. The reader should be given time to understand the characters, the world, and other aspects. It held my interest, and is ten times better than Eldest, which is absolutely horrible, but isn't the greatest. In fact, I probably never would have read it if my grandma hadn't sent it to me for my birthday.

Why couldn't Arya be an ally, instead of mere infatuation? What does Eragon look like? Why is Saphira oh-so-wise if she hasn't been in existence that long? And could Paolini be anymore obvious in his writing?
dreamwriter (12/03/05)

An amazing Succses
This shows great talent. It has inspired me a thirteen year old girl to write a fantasy series. You have made reading a huge part of my life. I want to publish a book too. Thanks for the insperation!

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

Tomlinson Hill
by Chris Tomlinson

Published Jul. 2014

1.  152The City:
    Dean Koontz

To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be ...

O O T F P, Into T F