Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

By Christopher Paolini

• Hardcover: Aug 2003,
    Paperback: Apr 2005,

There are currently 296 reader reviews for Eragon

Fiery Wordess (01/05/07)

Disappointed
I didn't mind the unoriginality (if there is such a word) of the story, because in general, most books lack originality these days, yet they're still enjoyable. The story was intriguing and the world was a colorful one. The writing was admittedly a little more than I could take sometimes--a blatant attempt to imitate the verbose writing styles of the type-authors of today's fantasy novels--but my real issue was the dialogue and characters. I never really fell in love with any of them. Every character seemed a little too similar to some shell of a character with unlikely words falling from his mouth. Eragon was by far the best of them, probably because he spoke the least, but I was definitely disappointed by the lack of soul in them. I hesitate to read the sequel for fear of another let-down, but I do suspect that Mr. Paolini has made improvements over his starter.

If I could make a recommendation to the author, it would be to unpublish his book (were it possible) and edit it with his present knowledge. It had the feel of a second-time rewrite rather than a fleshed-out novel. I suspect he could have done a more thorough job, perhaps this time not driven by the excitement of looming publication.
anon (01/03/07)

ok...well...
Even though I cannot deny what people say about how much this book copies off of other fantasy novels, I still enjoyed reading it and it certainly wasn't a waste of time. Especially once I got to the second book, which was better. I anxiously await the third book in the trilogy. My brother and I have both enjoyed this book and I like the characters better than those of some other fantasy novels. There are some good descriptions and though I can see that Paolini is no Tolkien, I take him for what he is. His books are sort of aimed towards kids and young adults, so I don't really think mentioning your IQ in a review is necessary ;)
crunchyspice (01/02/07)

An enjoyable read!
I enjoyed both Eregon and Eldest tremendously. I've been an avid reader for over 20 years, so it didn't surprise me that some of the themes were familiar to me (i.e., a seemingly weak and ordinary adolescent finds himself in a position where he must attempt to save the world). Also, I noticed some striking similarities with Pern (Anne McCaffery). However, I don't believe that this detracts from the book.

I would argue that Paolini's characters are his books' strongest points. They engaged me and felt much more real and somehow "modern" than is common in fantasy novels. I relished both books but felt quite sad that I could not share them with most of my students (I'm a tutor) because the language is too complex for struggling readers.

It wasn't until I finished Eragon that I found out the author's age. I was flabbergasted, and I am not making allowances for his youth!

By the way, spelling has always been difficult for me, and I try not to judge people by their spelling, but if you are criticising a piece of writing and your spelling and grammar are atrocious, it's just funny. Come on, spell check is easy.
MR J (01/01/07)

Let's be realistic
To put it plainly, terrible. I have an IQ of 183, I think perhaps this is the reason that I didn't enjoy Eragon. I don't care that he "borrowed" from other authors, All great writers are guilty of it at some time. The problem is that there was nothing original about this book. I'm not impressed or blown away by the fact that it was written by a 15 year old, that was obvious. I'm simply annoyed that so many people make allowances for his lack of ability or imagination, because he is 15.

The book was poorly written, and I struggled to get through the chapters. No hook. Poor character development, at best. That's being generous. I insisted on reading it because I was told that it was good by my friends. Had I considered the fact that they have the mentality of 15 year olds, I would have realized why they thought it was so good.
Rae (12/29/06)

Eragon
I was really excited to read this book at first. Dragons and magic and lots of action! Everything a fantasy reader hopes for!
But then I actually started to read it. The writing was very verbose and longwinded, with lots of unnecessary descriptions (names of horses owned by Eragon's uncle who are never heard from again) and scenes (the part where Eragon and Saphira go swimming.) The names of characters have uncanny resebleances to LotR and the plotline is Star Wars. When I challenge someone to give me ONE original idea from Eragon, they can't. Homage and tribute is one thing, but outright theft is another. To borrow just one idea is one thing, but to steal the entire plotline without acknowledging it is a whole other thing.
I never quite connected with the characters, and felt that lots of things that the characters do are pointless things that Paolini wanted to do.
Ahsan Gill (12/19/06)

Hooking fantasy
This is one of the best fantasy novels I've read before next to lotr. Its about a boy named Eragon who finds a dragon egg and flees the empire in hope to join with a group of rebels called the varden. I rate this book 5 because YOU WILL NOT PUT IT DOWN I recommend this for 13+.
Andrew (12/15/06)

Awful!
Honestly, if you think that this novel is "amazing" or "awe inspiring", then you definitely need to read more books. I see nothing in this book that I have not seen in any another piece of fiction. Whether it is Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Earthsea, or Lord of the Rings; Eragon is just one big conglomerate of all these ideas. The thing that annoys me the most, is that their are a wider variety of much more original and better developed fantasy novels that experience no where near the publicity that Eragon does. The reason it is so famous, is that it is read by a bunch of 15 year olds who dislike reading, who are forced to read it by persuasion from their parents, and in turn they over exaggerate how great it is because they have no other previously read works of fiction to compare it to or analyze it with. Read more books people, you'll see what I mean.
Triple Bypass (11/28/06)

Humor Me.
It's funny. The people who rate this book a 1 or 2, saying it is the most horrid thing they have ever read, must really look back on their own posts; I think they would take that opinion back. I think it was a good book. The writing was good, the imagery was good, and the characters were good. Yes, he did somewhat copy Star Wars verbatim, but I give him credit for getting off his ass and actually doing something, instead of criticizing other peoples works.

Lighten up.

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

The City