Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Eragon

Inheritance, Book I

By Christopher Paolini

Eragon

• Hardcover: Aug 2003,
    Paperback: Apr 2005,

There are currently 296 reader reviews for Eragon

Eragon Knows Best (04/01/07)

No Better Than Eragon and Saphira
This is an epic tale good for kids with a great imagination and love of the times, this book is great for kids 10+ to get the true understanding. the epic tales will send you on a journey. I highly recommend it.
BOOGER! (02/27/07)

FANTASTIC!!!
Honestly, Eragon is the BEST fantasy books I have read in my whole life! Way to go Paolini. If I was fifteen i could not write like Christopher did. He has an imagination!! Unlike, some people who have rated the book 1. I love how he makes his own language and people. I read the book in 5 days. I could not put it down. I recommend this book to EVERYONE, WHO ACTUALLY HAS AN IMAGINATION!! UNLIKE THE PEOPLE WHO HATE ERAGON! READ IT NOW!!!
Louis (02/19/07)

Yawn.
Boring. Bad prose, no characterization, recycled plot. Its fame comes from the author's supposed age, though people tend to forget he was older than most people assume and had a professional editor. That, and the fact the book was marketed at a bunch of illiterate kids who couldn't tell Charles Dickens from their arse. What are you to expect from a kid whose social interactions are limited to his family, the books he's read, and the movies he watches with his family?

Skip it. There are much better books written by experienced adults who don't get movies and games. But they don't have the fame because they care enough about their works they don't indulge in overused plots and flat characters. And they aren't "fifteen" for the past eight years.
larry (01/30/07)

Anyone read ra salvatore or r.e. feist?
I rate this good even though I have several opinions to the negative. I will not state anything about his age, except that keep in mind his parents are in the editing business. Still I like the book. It was an enjoyable read regardless of the young mentality in the verbiage. It did get better as the book progressed and he got a little experience. However I liked the book for the exact reasons I liked the other books that he stole the ideas from. I see the star wars comparison. Yet nobody mentions that R.A. Salvatore in the demon sword trilogy taught his hero how to practice swordsmanship with an elven dance. Not to mention The Spine is a place mentioned in almost every Icewind Dale book. And by the way did anyone read Raymond Feist? How about Thomas who found the dragon rider armor, and slowly gained powers from it and over time his features changed to resemble those of an elf. Anyway I expect as he gets a little older his own ideas will begin to surface and his writing ability will improve.
Anonymous (01/21/07)

Less Traveling, More Action
The book was actually quite interesting. I would have preferred it if the first half did not involve so much traveling and training. The whole book had so much traveling that it became boring to read about how tired they were and that Paolini should have renamed the book " A Travelogue of Alagaesia", but otherwise it was a great book.
hercules (01/13/07)

Simple
The poor character development, redundant word usage (myriad anyone?) and outright plot theft make this novel, quite simply, bad. Yes, the plots from Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars and more were used in combination but what bothered me the most was the outright theft of the idea of an ancient language that contained everything's "true name" from Wizard of Earthsea. This infuriated me and I encourage all of you to read the book and see what a real fantasy novel is like.
Aqua Rose (01/06/07)

Well...too much like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings
Well, it was a real good book, but I ask if it is slightly a knock-off of a mixture of the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books...the magic, dragons...typical fantasy stuff but a little too much like those two books...the main character, Eragon, is a bit like Harry Potter...orphaned, has certain qualities that set him apart from all the others, has magical abilities...sound familiar? To all my readers, sorry about all the dot dot dots(...). It also had some Lord of the Ring type things in it...ok not gonna type them all. Overall, it was excellent, really it was, but it kinda is a typical fantasy story using 2 of the original 7 plots of the world-orphan does amazing things, and rescues the girl(who, in this book, is Ayra) from a terrible death...Anyways, good book, read it, but I warned ya it was kinda knock-off-ish. No offense to Christopher Paolini
Brandon (01/06/07)

Well...
I loved the book though i must agree that it did seem a little bit, for lack of a better word copied. Even worse was the fact that the movie had no actual plotline. However the concept is good as is the descriptions as my heart reached out to each character in turn.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist