Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

By Christopher Paolini

• Hardcover: Aug 2003,
    Paperback: Apr 2005,

There are currently 296 reader reviews for Eragon

sydney (02/06/08)

Eragon
When I first began to read this book I thought it was going to be a extremely big and boring book, but as I really start to read the book I couldn't put it down! It makes me want to be there during the book and become a dragon rider also! I plan to read this book again in the future as well as the other book in the series!! I NEVER thought that I would love a scifi book but this one really caught me off guard!!
Markus D. (11/10/07)

Eragon- Christopher Paolini
This may possibly be my most favorite book. It was amazing. It's so detailed and the vocabulary is so varied! It has some great metaphors, similes, and personifications. It was such a good read, I couldn't put it down. When I was reading this book I got the clearest picture in my head; I felt like I was a character in the book. I say hands down to Christopher Paolini.
I am currently venturing into Eldest, which is also an amazing book. When I finish that one I'll definitely write a review.
Gregory (06/20/07)

For Young Readers Only
This is an average book and you can tell its written by a first-time writer. This book is for novice or young readers but not for long-time fantasy readers.

For starters, you can easily pick out the ideas and plot points that are very similar to other fantasy novels. (Some are frighteningly close, I don't know how the author got away with some of his writing). These just turn an experienced writer off. The other problem the book has is the uninteresting story. After reading the book, you feel like there should have been more. There is no excitement leading up to the final battle. The only upside is the author does scatter some original ideas, places and characters.
Abdul (06/10/07)

BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!
OK I've read many fantasy books but this book is awesome! I also like Eldest a lot...my favorite characters of this book are Eragon and Murtagh. I wish book three would come out sooner though. I really hope for book three to come out....and I cant wait to see what happens to Eragon... :)
Colleen Ann Monahan (05/27/07)

THE BEST BOOK EVER(ALONG WITH ELDEST!)
Eragon is one of the best books I have ever read!!! Anyone who hates the book, I feel sorry for you. Eldest may be better, but this book gives the story of the main character, Eragon.I love the action, people, places,and suspense in some parts of the book.My 4 favorite people are Eragon(of course), Murtagh, Brom, and Sapphira. The top 2 of those 4 are Eragon and Murtagh.I love the story behind Murtagh. it's soo cool.
Lola (05/16/07)

Eragon
I love this book I felt like I was actually there standing next to Eragon and Saphira!!
nicholas smith (05/07/07)

Eragon
Eragon is one of the best books Iv ever read and I read a lot. my favorite part is when Eragon had to fight the shade in the jail house. The movie made me mad It was nothing like the book it was a joke.
Tess (04/29/07)

How could you think Eragon is anything but trash?
Let's skip the praise that he wrote it at such a young age, blah blah blah. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes wrote absolutely stunning things at thirteen. Paolini is an idiot. Well, actually, he's an idiot with parents who have connections in the publishing industry. Thus, he was able to pluck what he liked best from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and numerous (better!) storylines and mash them all together in a book his parents said was wonderful. Honestly, his parents are even worse. They didn't have the backbone to say "Son, I know you worked hard on this... but it's awful. I'm sorry; I don't want to burn anyone's eyes out, so it'll have to stay in your desk drawer." Would that really be so hard? Now we have to deal with an absolutely trash movie and numerous fans (most of whom couldn't tell Shakespeare from their ***) defending this piece of garbage.

You know the reason it did so well? It has dragons. That makes for a great image on your advertising promos, and little children are attracted to anything scaly with wings. If Eragon had, say, giant slugs who could fly instead... the blindfold would be gone and everyone would be able to see why Eragon is such trash.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove